Making .mac go away.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wayland1985, Mar 12, 2008.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I just bought my new peryn MBP. For some reason there's a stupid "SYNC" logo on the menu bar at the top. I can't seem to make it disappear. How do I do it?

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Generally anything can be removed from the menu bar by holding Command and then dragging the icon off of the bar.

You can also change the order of icons in the same way.

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

You can also look in the all mighty system preferences under .Mac and Sync.

There's something there that might help you remove that unwanted item in the "Menu Bar"

4. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didnt notice anything under the system preferences (.mac) menu. The command trick worked great though. You learn something new every day. Thanks.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

System Preferences -> .Mac -> Sync Tab -> bottom of window there's a checkbox that says "Show Status in Menu Bar"

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That wont show unless you have .Mac

In the case of the original poster, they had a new Mac without .Mac activated on it.

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Isn't there a SYNC option in System Preferences then? I'm not at my Mac to verify this but I'm positive there's a SYNC icon, then the option to remove the Sync icon in the menu bar should be there.

Regardless if it's there under .Mac or under Sync, it can be removed via some options.

Sync is not exclusive to .Mac, since I DO have .Mac that's where I see the option to remove it from menu bar which is why I posted it and also the OP's title said .Mac which is why that was the first place I looked to verify the option was there.

And to further clarify the OP did not say whether he does or does not have .Mac account.

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Nope, no sync option. There's one in iSync, but I don't know if it's the same.

I have never used .Mac

9. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry. I don't have .Mac, that's why I wanted to get rid of the icon. I don't see a specific SYNC Button under system preferences. When I do click on .Mac's button, though, all I see is two columns (No Tabs), where one says Sign in, and the other contains a link to "LEARN MORE" and try a free 60 day trial.

I don't recall having the SYNC button on my powerbook when I installed leopard, so...

10. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

AHA new I'd find it. In Applications there's an app iSync. If you open it and goto the preferences (the iSync preferences) there's a "Show Status in Menu Bar"