Making Mac not sleep/ App: Transmission

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dj Quik Vic, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Dj Quik Vic macrumors newbie

Hello all, I am a newbie to macs, i just got mine macbook pro unibody 2.53 and oh man do i love it. i was mostly a pc guy, not that they are bad, but vista took a ****. XP was way better.

but my questions was, is there a way to make my mac not go to sleep when it is powerd on when runing a specific application. i d/l a lot of torrents and i would like for my computer not to sleep when im running tansmission. i kno pcs run like that, when there is a program such as utorrent the computer will now sleep. so if you guys could help me out id really appriciate it. thanks

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Go to your System Preferences and select Energy Saver. See there where you can select your Mac to never sleep.

3. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Check out Caffeine. It's a program that runs in the menu bar. When you activate it, it'll stop your computer from sleeping, dimming the monitor, etc. It's really a must-have.

There's another program called InsomniaX, and it'll stop your Macbook from sleeping, even when you close it (the computer, that is--not the program). Just make sure that it doesn't overheat...

4. nigameash macrumors 6502

caffeine only prevents the display from sleep, insomniax on the other hand prevents the entire computer from sleeping

5. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

As said earlier, Sys Pref under the energy saver will allow you to leave it on all the time, it will allow the display to sleep and the disks if it can, though running a program the whole time will keep the disks from sleeping. I don't see the need to get an application to do it.

6. Dj Quik Vic thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome thanks.. i will probly try insomniaX, haha i just cought the pun with the name haha.. i already have my macbooks preferences changed to never sleep but that does me no good cuz sometimes i just forget to turn it off and just leave it on and its on for no reason. i guess i would like to conserve some energy haha, well thanks alot guys i will try that

7. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Unless you mean when you actually close the computer, I have never had my system go to sleep with Caffeine enabled. Except, of course, for when I have no battery left.

8. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Tranmission preferences > Network >

Prevent computer from sleeping with active transfers.

Attached Files: