Making Mail App icon bounce with new mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Caralvarez24, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Caralvarez24 macrumors regular

I am trying out having my dock auto hide to have some extra space on the bottom of the screen. I like it but I am wondering if there is a way to get the mail app to bounce when a new email comes in the way other apps bounce when they need attention. I could not find it in the preferences but maybe I missed it somewhere. Thanks guys!

2. sparky7 macrumors member

Prefs - Rules - then set it to bounce whenever a new mail is received.

3. Caralvarez24 thread starter macrumors regular

Hm it bounces but does not bounce into view. I thought that if it bounced I would see it bouncing even if the dock was "hidden". Am I incorrect in that assumption?

4. SiriusExcelsior macrumors regular

I just upgraded to 10.5 today (from 10.4), and I noticed this problem too. Apparently it's a bug where the Mail icon doesn't bounce under certain conditions.. detailed here

Unfortunately even though the problem persisted in 10.5.1 for someone, it still hasn't been fixed as of 10.5.6... :confused:

EDIT: I should add that the bouncing worked perfectly under 10.4.. Then again I spent 2 hours fixing Mail.app in 10.5 after an archive and install.. my mail didn't show up and new ones refused to come in.. in the end it magically started working after I re-installed the Leopard version of HTTPmail (had the Tiger version before but Mail should've disabled something that was obviously not compatible).. guess Mail's just generally buggy..