Making movies with AVI's in iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by snowmaan, Mar 8, 2009.

1. snowmaan macrumors regular

I have loads of AVI files taken with our stillshot camera, and loads with our Panasonic semi professional 3 chip whatever they are called video camera.
    It seems, or seemed perhaps that AVI's can't be loaded or edited in iMovie
    (I am also not interested in using quicktime etc, I want to try and stick with iMovie)

Can you import the AVI files as well as the "real" format clips into iMovie and then edit all together to make your home movie?

Please post answers if you know, I searched and googled but responses to this topic are either from some time ago, not answering this well or also due to recently upgrading to the new iLife, a few good replies will go a long way

Thanks in advance

2. slu macrumors 68000

slu

You will need to convert the AVIs to edit them in iMovie.

I suggest using MPEG Streamclip (free) to convert the AVIs to DV and then you will be able to drag the DV movies into iMovie and edit.

3. snowmaan thread starter macrumors regular

Brilliant thanks for that. I do have isquint and visual hub, dont know if that will work the same maybe?
    (so as to avoid installing another app)

4. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I don't think isquint will work, but VisaulHub might (not sure as I don't have it). Anything that can convert AVI to DV will work.

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Visual hub works quite well for converting .avi to .mp4 which can also be edited in iMovie.

MPEGStreamclip to .dv is better in my personal opinion for editing in iMovie though.

6. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Yes, VH will do the trick (AVI to DV) quite well.

7. Meridith macrumors newbie

VisualHub works great at converting files like these. If you don't want to download software, a website called Zamzar.com will quickly convert several files at a time and then e-mail them to you. I've had some trouble with receiving Zamzar's e-mails, however.

8. snowmaan thread starter macrumors regular

Great thanks everyone
    I just upgraded to the new ilife package, and voila, it now finds all my avi's and displays them in iMovie, holy cow.

Havent tried to edit yet, but will see if I can now use them instead of converting first