Making movies with iSight and Final Cut Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stringtheorist, Jul 19, 2008.

1. stringtheorist macrumors regular

I'm considering a purchase of FCE 3.5 and I just need reassurance that I can continue to make videos with my iMac's built in iSight camera in the same way I've been using iMovie (capturing direct from the camera). I ask this because most folks seem to be using FCE to capture video from an external DV camera or other sources.

Thanks.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if you have Leopard just create a movie using Photobooth or record using your iSight in iMovie and export at full quality then drag the movie file into FCE.

3. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

I am having problems with iMovie. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at FCE. Are you saying I can't capture from my iSight directly in FCE?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

nope sorry! so are you using Leopard? iLife '08? theres a version of iMovie in iLife '06 on Apple's website for free that you could try out.

5. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using iMac with Leopard and iMovie as part of the iLife suite. It's not powerful enough on the editing side for what I want to do and now I'm also getting weird things happening to the sound when recording. So I'd need an alternative software to capture from the camera? Anyone have any suggestions?

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

He said you could try out imovie """06""" it is different from 08, more timeline options than 08 has. Sorry to say this but isnt final cut a bit OTT for editing from an isight?

7. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

Hey people, thanks for that! I just dowloaded iMovie '06 to try and I'm loving it! Seems somehow more intuitive than '08. I still want FCE to edit multiple videos together in a split screen type display. I guess I should be able to do that now by importing my iMovie movies?

8. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

I'd prefer to use a proper digital camera but I know little about them and I certainly can't afford to buy any quality gear. It's easier to make do with what I've got for the moment.