Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmF

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
California
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make a collection of music videos for a party, and then burn it all on dvd. I used a greasemonkey script to get youtube .mp4's of all the videos I want.

Then, I imported a couple of them into iMovie to test it out. However, these 20MB .mp4 files somehow created 50MB iMovie thumbnails? Why is this? Will it affect space on DVD when I move over to iDVD?

Thank you in advance for your help.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make a collection of music videos for a party, and then burn it all on dvd. I used a greasemonkey script to get youtube .mp4's of all the videos I want.

Then, I imported a couple of them into iMovie to test it out. However, these 20MB .mp4 files somehow created 50MB iMovie thumbnails? Why is this? Will it affect space on DVD when I move over to iDVD?

Thank you in advance for your help.

When iMovie imports the files some conversion occurs to a less compressed format. DVDs are burned in MPEG2 format and this is much less compressed than mp4 anyway, so the files will be larger.

Stick with about 1.5 hours of video, and there are settings in iDVD that will let you fit it onto a single layer dvd.

I believe "Best Quality".

HTH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.