Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newmaccy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
I have a mac and I am a new user having had a PC for years. Anyone any ideas how I get my TV to recognise my Mac so I can view pictures, videos etc . Says something about firewall, but I can't seem to find where I need to enable my TV as a connection.

Please Help

Thank you

knevermind

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2009
Are you running 10.6 Snow Leopard?

If so when you connect your Mac to a HDTV it should auto detect, after connecting go to System Preferences/Displays then select your TV and adjust the resolution/screen arrangement from there. Best of luck. 

newmaccy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
my TV has Wifi does that make any difference? when my tv was connected to my pc I had to add its IP address to the list of accepted connections, can this be done on my mac?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
my TV has Wifi does that make any difference? when my tv was connected to my pc I had to add its IP address to the list of accepted connections, can this be done on my mac?

The previous answer assumed you wanted to set up the TV as a display; I believe you want to network it, correct?

If so, then first you need to get it on your home network through whatever router you are using. Once it's connected up, then you can work on connecting your Mac. What router are you using?

If you've already got the TV working on the internet and network, find it's IP address and use the menu Go>Connect to Server... and enter it; that may show you if you're connected up. I don't know what software runs on the TV, so I can't get you much past there. If the TV is running any kind of file server it will show up. If not; don't despair, try the steps below.

If the TV is only capable of displaying meda served from the Mac, then try Playback; it's software from Yazsoft. It installs on the Mac and is a media server; it sends pictures, movies, music etc to my Playstation. So it may work with the TV as well. I believe it should work for you; the trick is getting the network connections going. Download the demo and give it a try. You start it on your Mac and it should take care of opening the Mac firewall for you; but again, if you router has a separate firewall it may prevent the Mac and TV from communicating.

Rob

newmaccy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Just tried Playback, looks good, although doesnt seem to play any of the music I have purchased from Itunes which is a bit weird, any ideas on that? or do I have to purchase the full version to get that

Last edited:

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Just tried Playback, looks good, although doesnt seem to play any of the music I have purchased from Itunes which is a bit weird, any ideas on that? or do I have to purchase the full version to get that

Music purchased through iTunes from Apple is generally "protected," meaning it only plays on Apple devices. That may be why they don't show up.

newmaccy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Music purchased through iTunes from Apple is generally "protected," meaning it only plays on Apple devices. That may be why they don't show up.

Guess so, they want you to buy the appletv, method in their madness

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.