Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Hello all,

I've got an old MacPro that I use for graphics and video editing from time to time. It's old enough that it didn't come with an airport card. I'd like to make it wireless capable. Any ideas?

Ideally, I just want to create an ad-hoc network between it and a WDTVLive or an apple TV and stream to my TV. How would I go about doing this? Any ideas? Thanks!

-jon

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I don't know what the availability of the old airport cards is, but you might search on eBay for them. I think the wiring and antennas were in all models, so all you should need is the plug in card.

Next solution would be a USB WiFi unit or a PCI WiFi card. It might be wise to select a unit with an external antenna (on a cable) so you can position it for best range (location might not be the best with antenna down near floor behind big metal computer :) ).

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Hello all,

I've got an old MacPro that I use for graphics and video editing from time to time. It's old enough that it didn't come with an airport card. I'd like to make it wireless capable. Any ideas?

Ideally, I just want to create an ad-hoc network between it and a WDTVLive or an apple TV and stream to my TV. How would I go about doing this? Any ideas? Thanks!

-jon

Is it intel or are you talking Power PC?

I agree an airport express would be useful. If you want to spend less you can look at

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MXP3802NU2C/

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
It's an intel mac, so hopefully that makes things easier.

Would there be any difference in implementation if I'm not looking to access the internet? Instead, just trying to network a computer to an apple TV to access my media?

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
It's an intel mac, so hopefully that makes things easier.

Would there be any difference in implementation if I'm not looking to access the internet? Instead, just trying to network a computer to an apple TV to access my media?

I'm sure you can make it wireless, but to stream media in my house I decided wired was better for HD stuff, esp since I have wifi drop outs from my office.

I use ethernet out>powerline adapter<powerline adapter<house wifi/modem, and another powerline adapter direct into the tv

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
I'm sure you can make it wireless, but to stream media in my house I decided wired was better for HD stuff, esp since I have wifi drop outs from my office.

I use ethernet out>powerline adapter<powerline adapter<house wifi/modem, and another powerline adapter direct into the tv

Powerline =/= wireless N, buddy.

Just get a cheap USB mac supported (!!!) wifi card. look on eBay tbh - the best place for things like that. Don't bother with an APX card, not worth the $

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.