Making My own App

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by eaglescout, Jul 27, 2009.

1. eaglescout macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a few ideas for an app, and I know quite a bit about computers. Can anyone tell me how I can make an app? Price or Time is not a problem. If anyone knows of a good guide or can provide good instructions, please let me know. You can post here, or email me at: eragon@infowest.com

Thanks in advance,
    James

2. masterell macrumors regular

Please search. Been asked at least 3 times a week.

3. eaglescout thread starter macrumors newbie

4. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

iPhone Application Development

Even if this book doesn't work for you, there's plenty of alternate suggestions.

Seriously though, Google works. ;)

Cheers!

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Also, check out the Guides and Stickies at the top of this very forum.

6. moral-hazard macrumors regular

As stated above..you kind of have to search.
    Alot of people reccomend the book "Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK" (I believe thats the title). I used it to start. I would reccomend learning objective-C syntax BEFORE going into this book.

Learning how to make an iPhone app (correctly) is not as easy as it may seem. Experience with programming languages (especially C, object oriented languages, and MVC based development) is very helpful.

Making an app is fairly complex, and can't be explained in one post. For example, how atomic would the explanation be? "Turn on your computer, open XCode, ...."

Additionally, how to "make" your app will vary depending on what your'e doing. You can create various "types" of applications in XCode with the SDK. For a simple application, you could get away with a single view and viewcontroller handling everything in the application, and you could build alot of the UI in interface builder without writing much code. The iPhone book is decent for this - I only made it halfway through before losing interest, but the first few chapters go through various approaches for different types of applications.

7. eaglescout thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. Thanks guys!

2 more Q's...

1. How much time would it take for a basic-learned app developer to make a simple app like "Awesome facts" or "Tic tac toe"?

2. It is just the $99 for the basic tools and 1 yr apple dev contract that you have to pay to make an app, or do you have to buy other programs/ect also?

Thanks again everyone!

8. boyplunder macrumors regular

boyplunder

My first app was a dictionary-type app [list view and a detail view for each word in the list.] that first took me about four months to learn all of the programming bits I needed, including SQLite, then a month to build an app that actually worked, then a couple of months to rebuild it when I realised it needed to be worth buying and look good and get all of the data [editted!] in it.

You can download the SDK for free just by registering as a developer. You can build and learn at your own pace, but you will need to enroll as a developer for $99 before you can submit anything to the appstore.

Hope this helps.

9. JimBobBennett macrumors member

If price and time is not a problem, then it takes years, costs £1million payable to me... :D

Kit wise, the $99 is all assuming you have an Intel based Mac. If not, then you'll need to get one.

10. jguru macrumors member

please use the search feature there are many threads regarding this.

Another useful resource is to check out the faq section.

11. eaglescout thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you Need a mac, or can you use an intel core duo windows?

I have a windows XP INSPIRON, as well as a Windows XP, and an iMac.

I don't want to mess up my iMac, could I just use one of the windows, or does it require a Mac?

12. eaglescout thread starter macrumors newbie

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

No, you need a Mac. The iPhone SDK only runs on an Intel Mac.

Yep, that'll be fine.

14. eaglescout thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, how much memory would be needed to do this?

15. eaglescout thread starter macrumors newbie

The memory is the main factor if I get a new mac or not.

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The 2GB of RAM that the MacBook comes with should be plenty sufficient for iPhone development.