Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imidazole

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Think a strong good suction cup would work on the back of this thing?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Suction cups? You've got to be kidding... When mounting something in a car, think about how the guys on the red green show would do it...

Duct tape!!!

tagvestibule

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
I thought about it for a minute, but judging by the number of times my radar detector and GPS have spontaneously popped off my window, I just don't trust suction cups in general - on the window end OR the device end.

A much better idea - I did this as soon as my iPad was delivered on Friday:

1. Buy a reasonably-priced sturdy back shield/cover. I used this:
http://www.handhelditems.com/ipad-crystal-clear-polycarbonate-padshellor-case-clear-black-p-132383.html

2. Get a "Move Clip" System from Proclip (they sell a smaller/cheaper one than this, but I felt safer with this larger model made for "tablet-style devices"):
http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-device-holder/proclip-move-clip/mounting-plate-for-tablet-style-devices-215159-13975.aspx

3. Attach the female move clip to the back of your shield. I wouldn't rely on the peel-and-stick they give you, though. I used "general purpose cement bond" from the hardware store. Keep in mind which end is "up" before you do your gluing! Note- since the base I was attaching mine to did not have an amps pattern (and I have no patience and didn't want to wait a day to swap it out), I decided to glue the male move clip to my case. I don't recommend this because the female clip does not have holes so I had to drill and countersink my own.

4. Attach the male clip to your favorite tilt/swivel holder (Kuda, proclip, whatever) with standard "Amps Pattern" holes using screws.

5. Now you have a sturdy mount that simply lifts off when you leave the car (or when they are trying to get to your mangled body with the jaws of life because you were driving while watching "Superbad" on your iPad).

6. And, you can always swap your other devices back in.

Attachments

• photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 110
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 100
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 107
  • car4(2).jpg
    car4(2).jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 97
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.