making my power mac into an intel mac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by spadz93, Nov 24, 2009.

1. spadz93 macrumors member

i got me a built up powermac g5 with a 1.6 ghz processor. i got it on the cheap, so i took it and built it up as far as i could afford (4 gb ram and a 500gb hd). lately ive been noticing that NOTHING is compatible with the powerpc processor. im looking at new motherboards to put in it, but im not sure where to start? i was thinking about the Intel DX58SO then putting a dual core intel 3.16 processor into it. can anyone tell me if theyve done this and its worked for them? id love an intel power mac :D

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

If you want an Intel Power Mac, buy a Mac Pro.

You would pretty much have to gut everything from your Power Mac to make it an Intel Power Mac.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

you would have to replace motherboard, ram, graphics card, processor, power unit and possibly have to mod the case to fit the motherboard.

5. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

PC in Powermac G5 Enclosure Guide

Try this.

A few pictures for easy viewing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source:
    Link

6. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

if you do this mod and still expect to run OSX, make sure you buy "compatible" parts........

7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I would also say that sell the ppc and buy a new mac pro. It is too much trouble to fit the motherboard and mod the case.

8. spadz93 thread starter macrumors member

ok so i guess selling it wouldnt be the worst idea, but i dont suppose something like this could run for as much as i would need for a mac pro....maybe an imac? idk you all tell me

9. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

10. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Fixed: Not possible unless you have a large budget and a team of hardware and software geeks to back you up =)

Then again, who says the PPC-Intel barrier can't be broken like everything else is, with some good ol' duct tape :rolleyes:

11. spadz93 thread starter macrumors member

so i guess ill just have to wait some time on this...either that or maybe i can buy a dual core 2.0 processor for it? eh its not on the top of my list now haha :D

12. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Your logic board uses a 130 nm PPC790 CPU. The 90 nm PPC790FX and PPC790MC CPUs do not fit your logic board. Dual core would be a 790MC CPU so that is impossible.

13. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Basically, a lot of people build themselves a Hackintosh then Dremel and duct tape it into a G5 case.

It's do-able but then you've got to deal with all the Hackintosh issues such as:

1- Tricking Apple software into thinking that your generic parts are a Mac computer of some sort. Easy right now, but Apple doesn't approve and may take stronger steps to discourage this.

2- Choosing parts that can not only mimic a Mac system but actually fit in the case, not sound like a jet on takeoff, not overheat or otherwise go "Boom!" and of course cost less than that nice, new Mini at the Apple store.

3- Using the system in any sort of professional capacity such as developing iPhone apps. This can cause legal problems later on even if you somehow manage to get away with it right now.

4- Selling the system to anyone other than a Hackintosher can present a pile of problems. Unless of course you sell it as a Linux or Windows PC in which case you just get the "normal" problems.

Unfortunately, the G5 has suffered the same fate as most older Apple products, (or for that matter any other older computer of ANY brand) a near total collapse of value. That stunningly stylish, solidly built wonderful case is of greater value than the system itself.

My advice is to sell it on eBay for what you can get and buy a new Mac. Even the lowly Mini is a better bet.
    2nd choice would be a 1st or 2nd gen Mac Pro. But these are still commanding quite a bit more than your G5 might get.

Unless you're a good hobbyist and tinkerer it's just not worth chopping it up. If you were, you probably would have already done so.
    Save up and get a new one and avoid a bunch of expense, bother and minor lacerations. :)

Have Fun,
    Keri

PS. Another reason not to Hack it yourself: Any Hackintosher that might be interested in buying your G5 is going to want to do it themselves. Also, you'd probably never sell it for more than the parts cost plus what you could have gotten for it untouched.

14. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Not really. Show me a 4 year old PC that can still fetch $650-$1000 on the open market.

15. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Are you saying a G5 can still get $650-1000?
    Wow, that's more than what I remember them going for.
    That is doing very well for a 4YO computer of any kind.
    Maybe even a "Good Investment"? ;)

That would make selling it now an even better idea while there's still a market.

Unless of course you're fond of PPC and want to keep it forever...

Have Fun,
    Keri

16. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

This is the oldest and slowest Power Mac G5 ever made. It is six years old and no sane person would pay more than 200$ for that machine. It is true that you can easily sell the case for 100$.

The upper limit of G5 prices is still 1000$ for a quad.

17. spadz93 thread starter macrumors member

eh ill probably sell it. its got great specs other than the horrible processor. maybe an imac will do the job for me

18. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Yes. Sell the G5 and start anew. You'll spend more time and money making a G5 an Intel machine than the price of a Mini, which outperforms any PPC Mac.

The new iMacs are great machines if you can live with a relatively non-upgradable platform. Especially the quad-core models...