making my tmobile in micro sim?? scared

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CBillups1, Sep 10, 2010.

1. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

i just cut up a verizon sim card and inserted it into the phone and it says no sim card. i didnt cut any of the gold contact. i have a regular tmobile sim that is active and i wanna use it in my iphone 4 but im worried if i cut it up its not gonna work

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

DO IT!!!!!

If you're scared you'll mess it up, go get prepaid T-Mob sim (I think they're like $10 or something) to "practice" with. There are a ton of vids on YouTube about this study up and keep a steady hand :D

3. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

ok cut i cut the verizon sim card good, does how big the gold contact matter? or maybe it doesnt recognize the verizon sim since its probably different network?

4. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

ok i just cut it and fits in perfect and says NO SIM.

umm what the hell? did i not unlock it correctly or something?

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Why are yo scared, if it doesn't work get another SIM.

6. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

im saying whats the point in getting one, i cut the sim perfectly.

I CUT THE SIM AND FITS PERFECT IN THE TRAY. THE PHONE WILL NOT READ THE SIM OR SOMETHING, IT SAYS NO SIM. whats going on? i mean i can easily go to tmobile and get another sim but what if i do it again and it doesnt read it?

7. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Are you sure you didn't nip any of the metal contacts while cutting the SIM? Are you also sure the phone is actually unlocked?

8. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

NOPE did not even come close to touching or even cutting the metal contacts. i was very cautious and know not to cut any of the metal since thats the SIM basically.

Im pretty sure its unlocked, i jailbroke it and have cydia.

all i do is install ultrasn0w right? if so then i did that and nothing.

9. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

anyone? this si really confusing, i did everything right and its not working.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

11. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

i already stated im 99% sure its unlocked, if all i had to do was install ultrasn0w then i did that. Yes i turned off 3g as well.

Im not sure whats going on, im about to order a tmobile micro sim online but worried when i get it and activate it, it wont work either. i cut it perfect so that cant be an issue.

12. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

13. gsbedi macrumors newbie

14. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

ill try right now

with tmobile sim in or ATT?

15. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

16. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

so i must of screwed something up on the sim? because even if it wasnt unlocked, would the phone recognize the sim?

17. gsbedi macrumors newbie

You probably damaged the contacts on the sim card. Get a few sim cards to test it out on. Also make sure the sim card you want to use is already activated... That should be obvious.

18. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Why bother going through all this aggravation, when you can pick up a T-Mobile Micro SIM card for $10 or less shipped from eBay.

19. iphonefouruser macrumors newbie

as a uk t mobile member who ordered his phone from apple direct before t mobile got their act together (no micro sims from tmobile until they were ready to ship the phones to customers) I had to trim my sim. I used a sim cutter off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CUT-Micro-Sim-Card-Cutter-ipad-iphone-4-4G-adapter-/160475628452?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item255d17c3a4

lining the sim up in the cutter it looked like it was still going to catch the last thousandth of a millimetre of gold on one edge during the cut. In fact it did just that when the cutter was used and nicked the contacts down one side. thing is, mine works perfectly despite the contact touch. obviously nothing important in that thou on the edge.

20. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

and take a week to arrive? i mean no one is gonna send it priority since its a tiny card.

anyways im going tmobile store tomorrow and pick up a sim and hopefully its the one with the small gold contact so it can be cut easier.

21. canuck82 macrumors newbie

I'm on Roger's network, so I don't know if the sim cards are the same, but I actually had to cut part of the metal to get it to fit into the sim tray. Since the sim card was used in my old 3G, there were marks left from where the contacts were made in the phone. I saw that there were unused portions of the card that forums I've read said were not necessary. I simply cut a slice off one side and made sure the middle portion of the card fit in the very middle of the opening of the micro sim tray of the iphone4. Put the card in and voila! sim detected and no promblems so far. Hope this helps

22. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Actually there a few guides out there that tell you its okay to slice part of the actual gold sim away without affecting the sim card itself.

I cut my sim when the phone arrived on launch day (Orange didnt even know what an iphone4 was when I called them to order a microsim), put it in the phone and it had no signal. I connected it to itunes and during activation of the phone THATS when it showed the service provider and signal strength. Not before. Bare that in mind.

23. monaarts macrumors 65816

okay… first off. The Verizon Sim won't work because it uses a different network. With Tmobile it will work but you won't get 3G speeds because they use a different frequency.

- Joe

24. google macrumors regular

Go to www.simcumcise.com and order a sim cutter which allows you to micro sim your card and leave the rest of the card to be re-used to convert it back to a regular sim. plz keep the xacto knife and scissors comments as it does not leave you with an adoptor to convert back when you need to.