Making NTFS drive visible over network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rvdhammen, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Rvdhammen macrumors newbie

So here's the deal;

I've just become the owner of an old G5 and i'm setting it up to use as a server to hook up all my external hard drives to.
    Now most of my drives are mac formatted and sharing those is no problem using file sharing under sys. prefs.

Problem is I have 1 drive that is NTFS formatted and I want to be able to access it through the network but it won't show.

After some googling i found a way to make the drive visible for Time Machine (defaults write com.apple.systempreferences ShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1 - in terminal) but i'm not interested in that, I just wanna see and access the drive over the network.

NTFS-3G is installed on both machines and hooking the disk up to either one of them makes it possible to access the drive.

anyone know of any solution?

Thx,
    Ruben

2. Nano07 macrumors newbie

Try sharing it as SAMBA and then in the other mac go to finder then coonect to server (cmd+k) and the put smb://localipaddress/share_name

That worked for me.

bear in mind that I have Paragon NTFS for Mac installed, i'm not sure if that makes any difference...

3. Rvdhammen thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Nano07 macrumors newbie

No worries!

It was funny because I had a similar problem 2 days ago when I couldn't share my external HDD. I didn't realise that the problem was that it was formatted as NTFS until I read your post. I thought it was something related to the drive being external, so I was googling the wrong terms hehehe.

So thank YOU! you made me think and was able to solve my problem as well ! :p