Making older macbook pro batter last longer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 31 YNOT, Aug 26, 2008.

1. 31 YNOT macrumors newbie

My roommate just bought a mac book pro and his battery will last 4 1/2 to 5 hrs, mine will only last 3 and is a brand new battery. Is there anyway to make mine last as long as the newer macbook pros? or is it just in the processor and stuff? Details on my comp are in my sig

2. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

Unfortunately, batteries do degrade over time. This is expected behavior and Apple is unlikely to help you with it. It sounds like yours has been around for well over a year, more than two maybe? That's just what happens.

A Genius that I saw last week told me that you can slow down the rate of degradation by regularly using up the battery, then filling it up again. He said it was like a muscle and that you need to use it for its strength to keep. You could try that for another year or so, see where you are, and buy a new battery or upgrade your computer if you need to.

3. 31 YNOT thread starter macrumors newbie

my computer is over 2 years old, the battery is only 2 weeks old(on my 3rd one now...)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Set the power to Better Energy Savings, turn down you backlight, turn off wireless or bluetooth when you don't need it.

If course newer computers have better battery saving hardware which you can't get.

5. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Matt,

I'm in the same boat. It's not the battery, it's our computers...the newer the design, the better (longer) the battery performance. Just one of the many "details" that get better with computer design over time.

J

6. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Man, I got like 2 hours max on my 3 yo Toshiba Pentium M lappy. I'm jealous of three, and drooling over five!

While in Windows, if you undervolt the CPU, you'll increase bary life, sometimes drastically (don't think there are any undervolt programs for use in OS X)

7. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

AFAIK os-x undervolts automatically when you get to the more energy saving modes.

In the sigg line I see you have a core duo, not even a core 2 duo. No problem there, but on my CD I wasn't even able to get 3 hours in normal use. on my MBP3.1 2.4GHz I'm easily getting 3 hours, sometimes even up to 4,5 if I don't play music, don't surf very much and think a lot about this new nasty report I have to write :D. But the 5 hour mark is something I've never seen.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

the LED display alone saves like .5 hour of battery life. I've had the 2.33 MBP with the CCFL display and now have the 2.4 SR. The extra half hour is certainly useful.

by the way, batteries don't last very long. After a year you can expect a rapid decrease, though some do last longer.