Making PC Video Games

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Rizzm, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

How are video games made? I'm talking about mainstream MMOs like Runescape, World of Warcraft, MapleStory, etc.

I realize this may be a very vague question. I really have no clue if I'm approaching this question correctly at all.

In % how much of games is coding? How much is 3D design? I'd like to eventually start my own project to make games, starting simply with platformers and flash games I suppose. I think it'd be a great way to get into programming/game design.

I'm starting my computer science major this year. Ultimately I'd love to work in video game design but can fall back on general computer programming if I need to.

I guess I just need to understand the big picture here.

Many thanks.

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The Short Answer is there is no one place to start. There are many ways to make Games, as such is the nature of an Art Form. How much of each design profession will depend on your game. You can make entirely text based games or complex 3D games. Some people choose to go to a Media Design school like DigiPen, but usually you will have an area of Specialization and only some experience in other areas.

Every Designer must know his art, and Extra Credits is a very informal deeper look at games.

This video is of particular interest:
    http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/so-you-want-to-be-a-game-designer

If you want to start learning how to code games, I've set many teenagers on these eBooks with a lot of success. It covers Python and PyGame, an easy platform for people to learn on.

http://inventwithpython.com/

If you want to learn how to make Art Assets or Music, the only way is to practice and learn how to express yourself. Learn how to Draw and about basic Graphic Design principles. Try making board games or card games. Buy a Xylophone and a Pair of Bongos and experiment with music.