making photos less memory

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Pjoseph, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Pjoseph macrumors member

can someone tell me how I can make photos from my digital camera take up less memory.
    I am trying to post some in a forum but they cant be more then 100kb the pic i have is 600kb

thanks

2. epyfa macrumors regular

Make them smaller. You probably don't need the resolution from your camera.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Lower the size or resolution. You can try using the preview app to do it, or gimp or something.

4. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

What form of image are they in? Like, the name would be, "Photo1.jpg." If you're unsure, right click the picture and select "Get Info." Under "Name and Extension," after the photo name it should have ending such as .png/.jpg/.jpeg.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

lemkesoft makes a tool called Graphic Converter that can convert and compress a image to a smaller size without the professional cost of commercial packages like Adobe Photoshop and the best port, it can open images from any format and convert them, it also support batch processing.

Just bare in mind that smaller images usually have less detail and lower quality.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol havent you ever heard of Preview????????

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yep i have, but Preview doesn't really compress and optimise images all that well. Personally I use CS4..

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

true, but it gives you a very easy way to modify the dpi, reosultion and physical size - it comes with OSX so everybody has it

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Doesn't support batch processes either!! So if the OP was to resize and re-compress six-hundred or more images, he/she will be there for a long time. Anyway, Graphic Converter is free to use.. and is available as a registered version with certain features unlocked.

Alternatively, if your purchased your Mac recently and it come with iLife, then you'll already have a package that could resize images for uses with the internet...

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok thats true... batch is a bit different

Resize 'Em All is a good batch converter too. :)