Making Quicksilver Do More

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wallaby, Feb 27, 2009.

1. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Hey Quicksilver users,

I've used Quicksilver for quite some time, and very much enjoyed it, but I've never messed with the catalog to customize my searches. I was wondering if the following is possible: right now, to navigate to a file within a few folders on the desktop, I have to type in the first folder, navigate right, to the next folder, open that, open next folder, and finally scroll down to the file I want. I want to be able to just start typing that file's name and have it come up. I know this should be possible, after all, I can start typing the name of an application without having to type in "Applications" first and then navigating to it... can you instruct me?

Also, any other cool plug-ins to use? I tried the iTunes plugin but it doesn't feel that much faster than just using the search bar.

2. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

In the QS Preferences, click on Catalog, then on User. Select the folder you are interested in, then click on the "i" icon bottom right. Set the depth to the required level. If the folder you are looking for isn't there, just add it with the + icon at the bottom.

If you goolge around you can find a lot of tutorials on QS; there is a lot to discover!

3. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

I personally don't get all the hype around QS. I found it to be totally buggy. For my purposes I found Spotlight was a reasonably good launcher and you can save yourself hassles fiddling endlessly with QS. Sure you don't get as many things to fiddle with, but that's just the point.

4. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Personally QS crashes about once a month for me. Yet not an hour goes by when I don't use it on my laptop, where of course its a lot easier to do things via the keyboard than the trackpad. I think the plug-ins affect the stability quite a lot; I only have the ones I need enabled. I've seen some guides suggest installing them ALL, which is a very bad idea.

Yeah, I think that is the point. If you are using QS just as a launcher, there are plenty of more stable/simple options around for you. However, if you use it to its full potential, then there's nothing that comes even close and you'll be more than happy to put up with a few crashes.

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I like using QS to move files around my computer (because there is no cut/paste in leopard :( ).. I just wish there was a way to use it to find a contact in my adium contact list than open a new chat window/start chatting. :eek:

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Er, what?

Terminal

cp <path to file> <new directory>

?

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Yes I am aware of the terminal, but I mean cut in paste in finder.
    With quick silver I can move a file to a new destination faster than I can with the terminal.

Edit: Also, pretty sure you mean mv, cp would just copy.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, mv/cp pretty similar functions.

Anyway I'm still not sure what you mean; you can highlight a file or a directory and copy/paste it to the new one. Cmd+C and Cmd+V...

(Or look under the "Edit" menu in the Finder)

9. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Copy pasting is not cut and pasting... Basically the same thing windows has.
    Cut a file, and paste it in another location. Avoid moving files and folders around with out opening multiple finder windows.

With Quick Silver, I dont have to disturb my current work flow/ task to move a file from one location to another.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Ah, CUT/paste. Sorry, obviously having trouble reading.

Yes, this has bothered me for some time, but I just use Terminal. Never really liked QS, but I can see its advantages.

11. wallaby thread starter macrumors 6502

wallaby

THANK YOU

It all seems so simple now! This will save me time getting to my files. I tend to organize by putting folders on the desktop with folders upon folders inside them, and QS doesn't recognize this natively, but now I'm set!

Quite true... for a time I was wary of using QS to "Move to..." because it doesn't display a progress bar like Finder does, but it seems to work okay as long as you give it enough time.

12. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

You can hold down cmd (I think, I am at work so can't check) whilst moving a file to "cut and paste".

Personally, I find QS a much better method for moving files.