Making Quicktime Pro use more CPU Power

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Enzobot24, May 29, 2008.

1. Enzobot24 macrumors member

I'm running an 8-core 3.2GHz Mac Pro and I'm wondering why Quicktime Pro is only using 30% to 40% of my system's overall CPU power (when I encode video).

Is this just the maximum speed of QT? Is there any way to increase the CPU usage?

2. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Because of the way programs are currently designed, you can't go any faster. The advantage of 8 cores over 4 cores is that you can do more stuff while you wait for other things to finish, but some things just don't get any faster when you make the jump from 4 to 8 cores.

Likewise, QT Pro only uses 1 core in my dual-core computer. It doesn't get done any faster, but I'm able to do other stuff while I wait.

3. schalliol macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that the response here is not correct. Many applications that are CPU intensive are able to process with full utilization. Many apps can take full advantage of all cores. It's true that if an app isn't designed for it (like MS Excel, it'll tie up a CPU completely, go to Vista on the same Mac Pro and it can use all 8-cores).

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast