Making retina display icons

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Nobita, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Nobita macrumors 6502

I'm trying to update my app in the app store...

The icon that i'm using is basically made from seashore (a variant of GIMP) with just some texts (with big fonts). I tried increasing the resolution to 500 dpi and the canvas to 114 x 114 pixels, but when it gets to iphone, it looks like the text is not high resolution...

Is it the case that I have to draw the font myself using vectors? or something like that? The icon of the app is just basically a single letter "U" with some background colours...

2. rossipoo macrumors regular

Scaling up a raster image will result in some amount of blurriness. If you have it you should use the original non-flattened gimp file (I'm not sure of gimp's file type). If the text parts have not been rasterized, then they will not suffer from a resize. If you don't have such a file, you'll have to recreate the icon from the beginning, or maybe some simple sharpening will work. The advantage of creating your icons with vectors graphics is that you can then export them to any resolution you want later.

3. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

But I did start from the beginning and explicitly told gimp to make this 114 x 114 pixels. I thought this would result in a sharp image.

I can show you the file if you want:[​IMG]

I thought this is high-res...

4. rossipoo macrumors regular

5. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

You're spot on, I did not have that field in my info.plist!

Thank you!