Making ringtones with cd music

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ltn, Feb 14, 2009.

1. ltn macrumors member

Is there a way to make ringtones with music you have backed up from a music cd? I know there is way to do it with iTunes music you bought. I am just wondering if you can do it with regular music. Thanks

2. Acronym macrumors 68000

actualy if the song is from itunes they wont let you ringtone it (not sure about DRM free though) any song from any source other then itunes should be able to be converted into a ringtone.

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

There is a guide in Acronym's signature that explains this. If you are on a Mac, it is very easy to make a ringtone in GarageBand, follow this tutorial.

David

4. Acronym macrumors 68000

there is a guide in FCP.guru.guy's post for mac users use that if your on a mac :D

5. ltn thread starter macrumors member

Awesome thanks a lot guys. I do have a mac so I will try the garage band way when I get off of work.

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

7. ltn thread starter macrumors member

Alright I have the old version of garage band and it won't let me make a ringtone. Does anyone else know any other way of making a ringtone. I have tried the other way through itunes as well but it says since I haven't purchased the song through itunes I can't make a ringtone. Thanks.

8. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Well, in general terms, you just need to create the clip you want as an mp3 file, import it to iTunes to make it an m4a, then change its extension to m4r. You can then put it into your ringtones.

On my Windows PC I use Audacity to make the mp3, Audacity is open source, free, available for Mac and really easy to use:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

9. Acronym macrumors 68000

Yes but these websites are somewhat limited as to being able to complety customize your ringtone.

Believeme I have 250+ ringtones made up/downloaded

10. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

The easiest way would be to open itunes and import the songs.. when your done go to www.audiko.net ..... from there just upload which ever song you want, cut the section you want and save it as an iPhone ringtone to your desktop, from there just drag the ringtone into your ringtones folder on itunes.... Sync and your good to go!

11. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Audacity is not a website, it is software you install on your PC, like Garage Band. The link I gave is the website where you go to get the free download.

12. ltn thread starter macrumors member

Am I doing something wrong. Every time I go here and cut the song to where I want it, it asks me for my phone number. Is there a way I can just download it to my computer? Thanks.

13. SuperKat macrumors regular

Wow

That was too easy. Are you sure it's legit?

14. ltn thread starter macrumors member