Making sure iphone does not use international towers.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by murc585, Apr 6, 2008.

1. murc585 macrumors regular

Is there a "Home Only" mode on the iPhone so that it will not connect to international towers. I live in a city in canada right at the border of the states and I've had issues with my bell phone connecting to us towers and costing me a lot of money, now its set to home only and i no longer have these issues.

So yeah, is there any option for this?

2. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I've wondered this myself. When I was with Verizon I would occasionally cross the border short distances but manage to only utilize US towers. I don't know if the iPhone will automatically prefer US-side towers when I'm on the other side of the border.

3. mrtravel123 macrumors regular

Other than the data roaming feature, I'm not aware of anything like this.

As an FYI:

Prior to taking my iPhone to Brazil this past month, I called AT & T on two separate occasions to ask about any risks regarding having my iPhone on while outside of the USA. They (2 separate reps) said that since I'm not subscribing to an international calling plan that my iPhone would be "dead" while in Brazil. In other words, I couldn't send/receive data or voice. (And I wouldn't be charged for either). In short, the only thing that would work would be Wi-Fi & all other non-phone features. So, I was very happy about this... and ended up taking my iPhone with me.

Well, I'm not sure if the above helps you or not. But, I share it as a personal experience relating to how my iPhone (with AT & T) wouldn't work on non-USA towers according to AT & T. If it doesn't benefit you for this situation... maybe the information might assist someone else.

4. murc585 thread starter macrumors regular

that actually helps a lot, i guess ill ask rogers anyways when i purchase my plan.

5. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

You should be able to goto Settings > Carrier and pick the one you want to use.

This does not work on ATT, but on all other carriers I have seen.

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

This would seem to conflict with the other thread by the kid who took his iPhone into Canada and didn't have international calling and ended up with a $700 bill that he's trying to get out of...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=465342

Sounds like the phone worked just fine for him.

7. zainjetha macrumors 6502a