Making switch from Tiger to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by misfit356tsw, Nov 21, 2010.

1. misfit356tsw macrumors regular

Will be making the switch soon from Tiger to Snow Leopard. Tiger is so good I have just started getting the urge to switch. Just wondering how other user experiences have been? I am really looking forward to it. :D

2. skyvueone macrumors newbie

No Snow for me

Hi :)
    I might be the exception, at least thats what everyone is telling me, but I remouved Snow leopard from my system.
    I have a mid 2007 mac that came with leopard. In 2009 I bought Snow Leopard.At first I found that it turned on and off faster but the rest seemed slower. As time went by I did my updates and mid 2010 all hell broke loose.
    I started geeting the spinning wheel or a regular bases.I got a blank screen ounce in a while. Eventually I took it in to apple and they ran test after test and found nothing physically wrong. So I was told to do a clean install and see how it gose.So I did and 24 hres later the same started again.So this time I did a clean install without snow and its been a month now and it runs like new.
    So for me Snow is out for good. :cool:

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I'd say if you don't have any compelling reason to upgrade (ie. there's a specific piece of software you need to use), Tiger is just fine. I ran it on my Mac mini up until recently when I made the jump to 10.6, and it was a bumpy road in the start. There are many things that I had grown accustomed to on Tiger that were changed, so a period of re-learning was necessary, but once I got it set up the way I wanted I've been satisfied.

4. misfit356tsw thread starter macrumors regular

I love Tiger but I want to use my Mini as a media player for my PS3 and all of the software is for Snow Leopard. I don't know whether I plan on doing a clean install or the upgrade.

Thank you guys very much for your input. Super helpful. :D

5. misfit356tsw thread starter macrumors regular

What Mac do you have? That is interesting. :confused:

6. sine-nomine macrumors regular

Tiger was really my favorite version of OS X so far. Snow Leopard's Finder is quite a bit better than Tiger's overall, and Spotlight is much faster, but Exposé is changed in a way that makes me actually hate to use it, and there were a number of little things in Tiger that are gone or changed that I miss.

7. rien333 macrumors regular

I think the only way to see if you like Snow Leopard is try it youself. Some people love it, like me, and some people hate or dislike it. (Like some people that posted above me) For me Snow leopard didn´t become slower at all, and it is not totally different from tiger.

8. misfit356tsw thread starter macrumors regular

Tiger has also been my favorite. Never went to Leopard because it just never seemed like a step up. But alas now my hand has been forced. :rolleyes:

9. misfit356tsw thread starter macrumors regular

Installed Snow Leopard in a clean partition and kept my old partition of Tiger. Could completely jump in so now I am dual booting Tiger and Snow Leopard. :rolleyes: I like the new applications folder and Safari seems snappier. I have found out that Snow Leopard uses more memory. 2 gigs of memory gets used up pretty quick. I am also getting shown that my 1.66 ghz Core Duo is getting a little old. Oh well new computer next year. :p