Making the call... rMBP or cMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjcdesigns, Aug 22, 2012.

1. pjcdesigns macrumors newbie

So, I am in a position to get a MBP, and can't wait. However, before doing so, I want to make sure I get the right one for me, my intended use, and the so forth.

This will be used for Adobe CS6 (and newer versions as they release). I mostly use photoshop, fireworks, illustrator, and dreamweaver. I am a web designer and front end developer, as well do consultation work for visual branding (so end up designing logos, business cards, et al as well).

I am also starting school back up this Spring to get my computer sciences degree (I fell into the design and development job, and am self taught, so want to take my knowledge and skills to a higher level, plus have it on the resume when I apply for more stable and lucrative jobs or positions).

I will be keeping my current PC and laptop as well for when I need those during my studies.

My main concerns with the rMBP is that I have read/seen several complaints about the graphics lagging on it, especially when doing more graphic intensive tasks. I love the specs of the rMBP out of the box, and this is what I would prefer, but if the graphics card can't keep up or is struggling I will simply do a cMBP 15" with AG and yada, yada, yada instead.

I am not worried at all about retina support for programs, they will get there soon enough.

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Then buy the cMBP?
    You already answered your own question.

Do you need more storage?
    Plus do you want faster boot?

Then go for cMBP, install SSD in the main bay and get optibay with big storage.
    Thats what I do and it has helped me alot.
    Your CS6 and all your work can be handled both cMBP and rMBP.
    Maybe go to Apple Store and try it for yourself?

3. pjcdesigns thread starter macrumors newbie

How did I answer my own question? It was a pretty simple question for those that own a rMBP and use it with the same programs I will be; does it truly have graphical lagging/ can't keep up with those programs, or is it more limited/nit picking?

I can find 20 threads with people complaining their $2000 computer isn't perfectly smooth while transitioning, scrolling facebook, etc... but that isn't much concern for me, my concern is if that carries over to the programs themselves and effects them, which I can't find much discussion of other than in some very heavy graphic instances, it can lag (3D rendering heavy)...

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

It depends.
    While others say their computers are great others have problems.
    I would go with cMBP due to the modifications you can make on them.
    And just because you buy cMBP, it doesnt mean they are problem free as well.
    But you can always ask Apple for replacement.
    Some say their rMBP have graphic problems, while some say they dont at all.
    It depends on the computer you actually get.

But if you want to be sure, go with cMBP.
    I returned my rMBP due to the graphics problem while my friend has no problem with it.

5. noodile macrumors regular

I was in the same boat as you, ended up getting CMBP. 15" Hi-Res AG, 7200-rpm, 2.6ghz, 8gb ram. and planning to upgrade it soon to 16gb ram, and Samsung 830 SSD

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

IMHO there really is no decision to make, rMBP is worlds better. No competition. It's like deciding whether to get a rebuilt 2002 vehicle or a brand new one.

7. semiauto macrumors member

Except CS6 looks like garbage and probably won't be updated for retina support until CS7

8. pjcdesigns thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought they had said they were going to update it ASAP? If that is the case, then it isn't even a question.

9. playsontheleft macrumors regular

The animation lag is due more to scaling in OS X than it is the hardware, which is perfectly fine. People have been able to pull out some pretty good frame rates on intensive games on these machines which shows that their graphics are certainly up to the job. You'll probably appreciate the higher resolution on the rMBP in CS applications and thankfully you're sensible enough to not let an extremely trivial and subjective issue with OS X animations bother you. I'd say rMBP.

10. DTF macrumors member

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Adobe pulls that one making retina support available in the next upgrade. They like to add incentives to make people upgrade.

11. silvrbullet macrumors regular

I primarily use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CS3. I upgraded from a Late 2008 MBP-- in comparison, my 2.6 rMBP is like a Ferrari. Sure, Some program interfaces are slightly pixelated, but it's not a big deal. I think this is one issue that is being blown out of proportion. I have zero lag issues.