Making the conversion to iMAC

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mark1406, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Mark1406 macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm a long time PC user who finally bought an iMAC. I took the Apple Care option, but being Xmas it isn't helping me.

I have a simple issue. I want to send an email from my Yahoo account and include two photos.

This would be so easy with a PC and it seems impossible with the iMAC.

The issue is I hit attach photos from iPhoto and it tries to attach all my photos. I can't simply select a single photo from a folder as I would on the PC.

Thanks for your assistance.

Mark

2. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

You need the individual photo files to attach to the email. Drag the photos you want onto your desktop, or any folder on your Mac. Attach them to your email from there.

PS, your iMac isn't PowerPC, you're in the wrong forum!

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Exactly. Assuming you're using Apple's Mail app (it's the same with most others anyway), just drag and drop the photos you want to attach from Finder in to the email window.

By the way, it's "iMac" ;)

4. Mark1406 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I tried putting the photos on the desktop and it worked, but I don't want to have to do that every time I send photos via Yahoo.

At this point in time I like the way the iMac is intuitive, but when an issue like sending photos turns up, I like the way the PC operated and a little uncomfortable with the iMac.

Currently the PC is my comfort zone.:(

Mark

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Hmm, It shouldn't try attaching all your photos.

When you click "attach" in the Mail app, and after clicking iPhoto on the left hand side of the dialogue box (at the bottom, under "Media"), click "events" under the iPhoto hierarchy drop down list in the main finder window and navigate to the event your photo is in and double click it to view the photos. From there you can simply double click one of the photos to attach it individually.

This is one way to do it. Try this and see how it goes.

6. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

99% of what I call Mac X-files are the result of user error. It's easy to do, particularly for someone trying to make the transition to macs currently. Have you imported all your photo files to the current version of iPhoto and allowed the machine time to convert said files?

7. leman macrumors 604

I could never understand how to work with iPhoto myself... it may be nice for storing and managing a photo collection but its a real pain if you just want to get some picture you made with an iPhone and, say, convert it to PDF or resize it. I would be happy if iPhoto could be easily bypassed. Similar stuff with iTunes: I love the software, but if you simply have a short audio sample you want to hear only once, iTunes automatically tries to add it to your audio collection and generally makes a mess.

8. robgendreau macrumors 68040

There's an easier way.

When you open a new message, you should see a little box on the left with an icon that looks like a mountain with the sun behind it; if you hover your mouse over it you should get a popup saying "show or hide the photo browser." Click it to show the browser, and it will find the photos in your iPhoto or Aperture libraries, organized as they are there. Just drag and drop.

If the icon isn't there, go to View>Customize view… and add it.

Rob

9. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Don't worry Mark, here's visual reference.

Assuming you are using the built in Mail app, when sending an e-mail, do this:

Click the "attachment" button on the New Mail window
    [​IMG]

From here, find the location of the pictures
    [​IMG]

While holding the "SHIFT" key, single-click on each picture that you want for your e-mail, then click "Choose File"
    [​IMG]

Now your images are on the e-mail! You can even choose to have BEAUTIFUL stationery, and don't worry, if the person can't view the pictures in the e-mail, they will automatically be converted into downloadable attachments. If they can view them, they can right-click and choose to save them!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I hope this helped you!

10. Mark1406 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate your assistance given the busy time of the year.

The photo's were very helpful and I learn how the folders can be presented.

I still need to go beyond the iPhoto library and get to the individual photos.

I have tried to drag and drop, which didn't work. I also tried to copy the photo and paste it into the message, but I was left with the location of the file within the computer.

Chris, thank you again for the pics they were very helpful. It looked like you created folders in your computer for your photos as you would in a PC. Where as I have everything in the iPhoto library.

Merry Xmas and thanks again for your assistance.

Mark