Making the jump from cable/satellite to strictly online content

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MattG, Oct 16, 2010.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

So...who here has done this, or is considering doing this?

I have a Mac Mini media center set up now in my living room, and I'd really like to get rid of cable altogether. It costs me $92 a month, doesn't work all that great, and I don't even have any of the "premium" channels (Showtime, HBO, etc.). I've spent the day combing through Netflix and Hulu, trying to see if the majority of what I watch (which really isn't much) would be covered through them. Some of it is, but certainly not everything.

I'm wondering if there are any other services I should be looking at? What are other people here doing?

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

College Sports are what's preventing me from doing it. But otherwise, yeah - it'd be great to give cable the finger.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm doing it when PS3 gets MUBI (video rental), should happen later on this month. Currently I pay 39€ per month for ~20 channels (Canal+ etc) and rarely watch them (usually on weekend evenings). With MUBI, I can watch as many movies as I want from their relatively big library for 13€ month.

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I don't understand why the networks can't come up with some internet based subscription service. If I could pay a few bucks a month per network for unlimited streaming of their content, I'd be all set.

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Being able to stream Netflix on your TV will make it much easier.

If you don't have any problem downloading shows that you can't stream, then not having cable isn't a problem at all.

6. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

It already exists in France. They just want to make customers pay more for two redundant services.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Get rid of cable. I've never had it, never will. It's a complete rip off. I've had an ATV for two years and a Blu ray that streams Netflix. That's a hell of a lot cheaper than cable will ever be.

8. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

For the last two months, we have been subsisting solely on Netflix, with the occasional downloaded TV episode (sure wish they'd offer The Big Bang Theory for streaming). Between that, youTube and the occasional DVD, we're doing just fine. If I can find a Roku box for a decent price, I might install that on the backroom TV as well (we stream Netflix though the X-Box in the front room).

9. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Good to hear others are doing this. I'm hoping a few more channels that my girlfriend and I like will make it to Hulu soon, though.