Making the move to Phoenix...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AppleNewton, Jun 1, 2008.

1. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

In about a month I'll be down in the Phoenix/Glendale area.
    I'm coming from the great Minneapolis of over 20 years; nothing quite like it....something about this place is just interesting & great.

Its been a nice time here, but there was an opportunity to come down and do some work (multimedia/video/audio stuff) full-time for about a year or so (due to project length and whatever happens after that)...and figure what the heck...try it out may or may not be a long term thing.

anyone in the Phoenix/Glendale/Peoria area, have good tips or those who may have moved there any good recommendations for hot spots to check out, kind of lifestyle is out there? etc etc...that type of thing. Practically foreign to me!

Ive researched and been down there before (recently within a year) so its not completely new, but moving and those areas are completely new to me.

its exciting as it is odd to be away from a place I grew up & lived.
    from what I gather that area will be a "you'll really love it; or really hate it" kind of attitude from what others who have moved from MN to AZ.

thanks all =)

2. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Well, in about a month, everything will be a hot spot. :D :cool:

Seriously, though, I wish you luck with the move. I'm not sure I can help with any recommendations as I don't really get out all that much. But I'll keep thinking about it and see if I can come up with anything.

3. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

If you're into clubs and stuff, Old town Scottsdale's pretty good for that and the little shops.

There's tons of great stuff to do in the desert, you just have to look around.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I've lived in between the 67th/Peoria to 43rd/Olive area (all in the 85302 zip) for the last ten years and really can't think of any other part of town that is any better value. PM me if you want specific recommendations, lookouts, etc.

Glendale in general is a wonderful place to live: great city services, lots to do, convenient to everything, and you don't get bent over on cost of living.

5. AppleNewton thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

thanks alot guys/gals.

I sort of asked it wrong, but those are some good ideas as far getting out and exploring.
    I dont really know how to ask such a vague question. so i apologize for that.

Im excited to get out to something new for awhile luckily I'll be working so its not like I'm sent out to the desert and stranded.

I;ve noticed glendale has quite the assortment of modernized/suburb-esque style to it. similar to the city in MN im from.
    Alot of things are within 25-45 minutes driving around phoenix which isnt bad at all.

The rent in AZ is incredible compared to the rental rates here, and buying a home in the Glendale/Peoria area is more attractive then up here!!

My main concern is heat, here we have intense humidity in the summer which is nearly unbearable....the reason I like MN so much is the various seasons/temps; especially the cool downs mid 50s are nice. not cold or hot.

I take it there is no humidity which doesnt make the heat as bad, but its still hot nonetheless.

thanks again =)

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Well, a couple weekends ago it was 110F @ 12% humidity. Last weekend was cool & stormy, this weekend was 99F/10% in my backyard. All of it tolerable, really. Monsoon starts in a couple weeks or so, and the average relative humidity will rise with the dew point, but it's rarely--if ever--"muggy." 40-50% would be considered extreme.

We typically hit 100 for the duration in mid-late May, and don't see the south side of it again until September-October. Summer here is like winter in MN: stay the @#$% indoors! Well, except you can venture out, but "outside" activities not involving a pool are uncommon. Like anything else, you get used to it (or at least learn to accommodate it). Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US, so it must be survivable.

7. thomasz1 macrumors newbie