Making the move?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stewartlittle, Jul 24, 2008.

1. stewartlittle macrumors regular

Jul 2, 2008
    So I am heading to australia from Canada for a year. I have heard about some peoples batteries getting fried from the voltage difference. Is there any difference in the macbooks themselves, or just the adapters. Should i just buy and australian mac power adapter and that will suffice.. or am i missing something... thanks
  2. YahoKa macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2006
    The adaptors are designed to handle voltages from 110-220V and AC frequencies in the range of 50-60Hz. I'm not sure what Australia uses, but this probably means all you need is the appropriate wall plug adapter and you're set.
  3. stewartlittle thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 2, 2008
    Ive looked online, i think the australian one is 240v. I am not 100% sure though. Can anyone from Australia confirm this please.
  4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

May 5, 2008
    Mainland Europe
    Wow, interesting thread. I'm thinking of holidaying there soon and i'd never heard of the problem before. =O I'm glad I discovered this thread before I exposed my macbook to potentially destructive voltages there.
  5. stewartlittle thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 2, 2008
    Does anyone know what the voltage is there and if the canadian adapter will work...??
  6. richard.mac macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2007
    51.50024, -0.12662
    the voltage in Australia is 240V. theres no problem, most if not all power supplies and notebooks can handle voltages up to 240V.

the MacBook handles voltages of 110-240V AC.

all you need to get is an Australian plug adapter to slot into your battery. have a look at your local Apple Store.
  7. stewartlittle thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 2, 2008
    THanks richthomas, i will hold you personally responsible if something goes wrong hahah