Making the Switch. Desktop or Laptop. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RSNL, Dec 28, 2007.

1. RSNL macrumors regular

Okay. I am 25 years old and out of college. I am not a gamer, but I do dab in photoshop mainly for digital photo editing, but not a hardcore user. Will be buying @ bestbuy using the no interest for 18 months. I am intrigue my the mac OSX would like to finally make the switch or atleast halfway.

I currently own a 710m Dell 2.0ghz for over year now, but the laptop still runs and works great. Don't have many complaints.

I haven't owned a desktop ever since getting my laptop and enjoy the mobility of the laptop.

So should I go ahead and get desktop (imac) and still have my current laptop. Or finally get a blackbook and trade my laptop to my little brother for his decent desktop. Am I too old for macbook haha..I cant really afford a MBP though.

I think the imacs are pretty and would like to have desktop at home, but can live w/o it, but i prefer the laptop for its mobility.

Help? hehe Thanks in advance.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd go with the iMac. The 710m isn't that bad with a good amount of RAM in it.

Unless there's something in OS X you really need to run on the road.

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Desktop, get the iMac. More bang for the buck and it'll last longer.

Run the Dell into the ground (which is what I'm planning to do with my MBP) and then get a Mac laptop.

You'll love it :) Get the higher end 20" iMac...

4. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

A macbook would be plenty for your needs, but an iMac would have more power.

The basic question is what is more important to you - power or mobility, and if you get a desktop will you spend very little time on it, negating the extra power.
    If you want a desktop set up you can always add an external monitor and keyboard and mouse to the macbook.

I'd say get the macbook as you will probably end up using it more, and not have to fart about between two OS's.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have a MacBook and XP minitower. It works fine for me.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My choice would be the iMac - better resolution, more power, bigger internal drives, and you already have a laptop.

Plus, the ability to have a desktop that's "anchored" and therefore easily connected to external drives (esp. for backup), accessories, etc. is, to me, a plus.

Plus, of course, if you get the MB, you'll wish you'd gotten the announced-in-a-month FlashBook.

7. RSNL thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the response guys i really appreciate it.

regarding the new macbooks with the flash, i am really not intersted in that due to it being flash..i really need a cddrive in my laptop and plus isnt the new laptop supposed to be in the MBP line?

8. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    Just wait...the suspense is building...

9. RSNL thread starter macrumors regular

paid about 1633.00 after tax. Did I pay too much? It's just sitting in my room waiting to be opened..haha
    Bestbuy didn't accept my brothers education discount becaue they were allowed to price match apple.. but i couldnt beat the 2 years zero interest, but of course i put down 600.00 bucks.. Should I...:confused:

10. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

That depends on what you bought.

11. RSNL thread starter macrumors regular

i bought the 20" 2.4 ghz
    sorry about that haha..:D