Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
going with a fully loaded 12.1" superdrive.

my uncle is giving it to me as a grad gift, but i wanted to use my educational discount too. do i personally have to be the one to pay for it (ie. use my credit card) to use the discount? or can i use my uncle's card with the discount?

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
orijinal said:

my uncle is giving it to me as a grad gift, but i wanted to use my educational discount too. do i personally have to be the one to pay for it (ie. use my credit card) to use the discount? or can i use my uncle's card with the discount?
You can have anyone--your uncle, some guy off the street, etc...--pay for it as long as you are there with your college student ID or some other proof of enrollment.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Where are you buying it.

If you buy it at the store I think this would be ok to do, if your both there. If you purchase online I would talk with the sales rep. But I don't see them not taking your uncles money.

Anyways call them and ask them the procedure for doing this. Call apple or the apple store to find out.

Nuc

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
A 12" Superdrive, wow! It burns laserdiscs? What does that thing hold, like 50 petabytes? ;) Seriously, good luck with your new Mac!

tikibangout

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
orijinal said:

Good luck getting that superdrive in a 12 incher.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Just bought that same computer. Beautiful, however I do suggest a second battery. My battery came in with a 2 hour charge at full. :eek: :eek: :eek: After testing a friends iBook which lasted 5 hours it definetly left me feeling sad. :( :( :( Yet, I'm getting it replaced cause Apple agrees its too low. Yet, I don't think they will replace anything greater than 3 which is abummer. I personally wanted about 6-7 hours of work time. In an iBook it would be reallly pushing it with one battery. With two batteries in my powerbook I am barely making that. What a jip for $100.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
my battery is saying 4 hours...

i just got it! it's great so far... except i can't connect to the net at my house!

i have it connected to my network and everything but it's not reading an IP or anything from my network.

i was able to connect to the net in the store, and my thinkpad is able to connect to the net.

what is going on?

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
What type of connection are we talking about? Wireless or wired? DLS or Cable? What brand router are you using if any? These thing will help understand the problem better.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Chef Medeski said:
Just bought that same computer. Beautiful, however I do suggest a second battery. My battery came in with a 2 hour charge at full. :eek: :eek: :eek: After testing a friends iBook which lasted 5 hours it definetly left me feeling sad. :( :( :( Yet, I'm getting it replaced cause Apple agrees its too low. Yet, I don't think they will replace anything greater than 3 which is abummer. I personally wanted about 6-7 hours of work time. In an iBook it would be reallly pushing it with one battery. With two batteries in my powerbook I am barely making that. What a jip for $100.

Just because you got a single bad battery, doesn't mean it was a "jip." People get 4 hours out of a 12" PB battery when it's new. It starts to drop a bit, like ALL Li-Ion batteries do after time.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Abstract said:
Just because you got a single bad battery, doesn't mean it was a "jip." People get 4 hours out of a 12" PB battery when it's new. It starts to drop a bit, like ALL Li-Ion batteries do after time.
No I still think $100 is a bit much sorry. If I got four hours then maybe. I also have two batteries. One at 2 and the other at 3. I got the first one replaced and am trying to get the second one replaced. I think its a jip because you pay the premium to buy striaght from Apple for the quality. Yet, if they can't even ensure their quality, why don't I just buy it elswhere for cheaper. So, how is it not a jip to pay an extra $30-40.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
microsoft broadband router i thnk its mn-700 or something along those lines.

i connect using comcast cable, through the router.

my thinkpad can connect using it fine.... :/

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
orijinal said:
i just got it! it's great so far... except i can't connect to the net at my house!

i have it connected to my network and everything but it's not reading an IP or anything from my network.

i was able to connect to the net in the store, and my thinkpad is able to connect to the net.

what is going on?
I have had this prob with my PB when i switched my ISP.

Go to System Preferences >Network and click on the Show drop down menu, and select the appropriate option (Airport, Built-in Ethernet, Internal Modem, etc.) That fixed it from me when i moved and switched my ISP.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
faintember said:
I have had this prob with my PB when i switched my ISP.

Go to System Preferences >Network and click on the Show drop down menu, and select the appropriate option (Airport, Built-in Ethernet, Internal Modem, etc.) That fixed it from me when i moved and switched my ISP.

nope, airport is selected.

i even have the password set as wep-128bit (on my pb) but when i go back to the settings it doesnt save it as wep 40/128-bit hex. it keeps saying its a wep password.

arghhh "AirPort is connected to the network MSHOME. Airport does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the Internet.

now i even removed the WEP and it's still not accessing the net.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
finally fixed the airport. guess i just needed to update the software (updated it at cousin's house's wifi)

it's great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.