Making the Switch: Stuff I need to know

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alimax, May 28, 2010.

1. alimax macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of making the switch to a Mac, primarily because I am sick of Windows and PC's and all their shortcomings. I really cannot afford a brand new Mac, so I am thinking of ebaying it and going for a 2.4ghz early 2008 macbook. However, there are a couple of things I need to know:
    If the ebay product ships with software pre-installed on the machine, how do I save it in another location while I do a format and fresh install of Snow Leopard, and then load it back on without discs? I have heard that Time Machine backs up apps, but will it restore them to working order on the new install? (I'm thinking of software such as iLife and Office here)
    Secondly, are the old style polycarbonate macbooks rugged in their design? I am careful with any laptop I handle, but I do travel with them a lot. I have had 2 dell laptops in my life, and on both of them the hinges and screen border have split right open after barely a year of use, as well as other issues such as audio failure, batterys, chargers and wifi not working right.
    Finally, will I regret it? Are Macbooks really as good as people say? Anyone else done what I am planning to do?

Thanks very much for your time

Ali

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Unibody MacBook is as low as 759$ from refurb store http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC207LL/A?cid=AOS-US-AFF-FEED

All Macs come with two install disks, other one for OS X and the other for iLife apps. Any other apps it has e.g. Office for Mac are downloaded from the Internet and are trials if they aren't free. If the seller says it's not trial and it has been activated, he must provide the disk with it as otherwise it's not legit

3. miicah macrumors regular

If you are 'making the switch' that implies that you already have a computer. Why not copy the files on the old macbook onto that PC?

4. alimax thread starter macrumors newbie

It has to be the old model for me as I need firewire and both audio in and out seperate ports. The problem is that they say that iLife, iWorks, Office and whatnot are installed, but provide no discs, not even the original restore ones. And I would want to do a full reinstall to guarantee a fresh start, and to register my details

Thanks

Edit: @miicah: Yes I already own a Dell laptop. I'm afraid I don't fully understand what you mean by copy the files over to the PC?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If he doesn't even provide the original restore disks, you can't perform a clean install. I wouldn't buy unless the seller provides everything that is included in the original box

6. alimax thread starter macrumors newbie

O.K. fair enough. I was planning to buy a Snow Leopard disc (£25 really isn't bad) and install from there, but was just wondering how to salvage anything left on it. Thanks