Making the system think it's a windows machine.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by edgaroviz, Jul 24, 2012.

1. edgaroviz macrumors newbie

I have a MBP 15 with the 6770 redeon, I'm running windows 7 64bit.
    I want to make the system think it's a PC, not a BootCamp installment, since I'm a gamer I want to install the latest drivers ATI have for their card, but as you probably know they don't really bother updating the drivers for BootCamp.

Is there a way to trick the system to think it's just a Windows machine?

Thanks in advance.

2. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

You should just be able to boot into Windows, download the latest catalyst drivers for your graphics card from AMD's site and install them. Nothing fancy needs to be done. There is no such thing as a 'BootCamp installation'; you are running Windows. BootCamp is just the name of Apple's utility and driver set, neither of which are required.

3. edgaroviz thread starter macrumors newbie

When I download a Windows driver it says I can't istall it because I'm running BootCamp, should I download the full driver from somewhere without a downloader, then will I be able to install it?

4. ibarnett macrumors regular

ibarnett

This is the info I have been looking for.
    I have a Mac Pro arriving soon, so does that mean if I have a HDD in the 1st bay, I can just put my CD/USB in & install windows as per a PC?
    If this is the case how about the drivers for Windows, as long as I can boot into Windows will it find the drivers? Or use BootCamp to download them?

5. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

What driver did you download and do you have the link? I wonder if AMD is checking on certain systems now.

That is similar to my current setup (Mac OS X on HDD0, Windows on HDD1). I haven't had much luck booting from USB but booting off a CD works fine. You'll need to track down the core drivers yourself, a tool such as HWiNFO is invaluable here, but that's pretty much just running around to Intel, AMD, nVidia, etc. and grabbing what you need.