Making the ultimate setup for OS X Mavericks for my iMac?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Kaelbron, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Kaelbron macrumors member

Hi there,

Now it's hopefully soon time for 9.10 to be released to the public. I therefore begin to think how I want to have my computer set up now you are supposed to install the new system and everything so they would surely do it properly when you still must bring in new OS X on my iMac.

Now it's like this on my iMac from 2009 so I have added an SSD which I have now put over the system and programs. I've been away from the settings from users and groups made ​​so that the papers and my home folder is located on the large standard hard drive.

I'm thinking about whether there are benefits to me if it is possible to do both drives into one unit and be a fusion drive?

Someone who has such a solution? I now have honestly been using Time Machine since I made my current solution does not know how it will be now when you have two disks. Therefore, should a merger be easier so you do not think every one's files located?

Anyone have advice and thoughts regarding my reflections?

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

2. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

There are instructions here: http://blog.macsales.com/15617-creating-your-own-fusion-drive don't worry that it says you need a 2012 Mac mini, that is no longer needed. After you create the fusion drive, I recommend you do a fresh install of mavericks onto it and then use migration assistant to restore your data from your time machine backup. Supposedly it doesn't work properly without a fresh install, although I did not do a fresh install with my homemade fusion drive and it seems to be working just fine.

3. MrGimper, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I wouldn't follow those instructions alone as it will not create a recovery partition. I'll try and find the instructions I used, which started with wiping your HDD and installing 10.9 to the HDD first. This creates a recovery partition on the HDD.

EDIT: Found the link http://pintofcode.com/blog/2013/8/19/mavericks-and-fusion-drive

4. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

I would love those instructions as well, as I have a 2011 iMac with a 128SSD and 500GB installed. Currently everything works, but if merging them through Fusion is better, I'm there!

Just saw you posted the link, thanks! will check it out :)

5. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

No probs.

I already have a "real" fusion drive on my iMac, but I put an SSD in my MacBook Pro and moved the HDD to the optical bay, and used those instructions to create a Fusion Drive.

After I'd done it I compared the partitions and layout to my iMac, and they are identical.

6. Kaelbron thread starter macrumors member

I myself am a bit hard to decide for me because now I have the SSD for the system and programs and documents on the usual disk. The thing is that the disks especially SSDn will wear more now that it is a single disk? Will the course a big risk if you have all your eggs in one basket.

What have you actually win you do if the disks into a single fusion instead of having the system + applications on the SSD and documents on your hard drive. If you have fusion will not prioritize what you use most often? Maybe I do not use iPhoto / Aperture or Lightroom say every day but I want it to go quickly once they started.