Making them let u upgrade earlier...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcapz, Oct 11, 2011.

1. jcapz macrumors member

Has anyone found a way to get them to let u upgrade early? My upgrade date says possibly 11/16/2011 and although it's just a month, I'm making my girl switch from another carrier to AT&T for a family plan so we both want to iP4s together. I'm upgrading from an iP4 that I purchased July of last year.

Called AT&T and they said that it's out of their hands and that the upgrade dates are determined by AT&T and apple at the same time.

I apologize if there is a thread that contains this but I searched and couldn't find an answer if anyone made their carrier make an exception for the upgrade earlier than their eligibility date.

2. fjrabon macrumors regular

haven't seen anybody come anywhere close to successful with this.

AT&T is thinking 1) you haven't fully paid off the subsidy you used last time you got an iPhone yet. 2) Apple/AT&T are already going to be selling every iPhone 4S they can pull out of Shenzhen as is, they have no incentive to try to get you to buy one now, why not just make you wait until November when they actually have excess stock (if they even have excess stock then).

3. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Apple has nothing to do with it, you bought the phone from ATT. You have a contract to honor. Just wait until you are eligible.

:apple:

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

you could try saying how sprint has a cheaper plan and will give you unlimited data, and that its cheaper for you to cancel your contract and go over to them then to stay with ATT. They probably won't be able to give you an upgrade but they could credit your account the amount of the difference, so if you can afford full price right now you'll end up getting it back through not paying your bill for a month or 2. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and you say I'm still thinking about it I'll call back if I decide I want to switch

----------

Actually, I've heard (though knowing ATT it could be completely false), that while ATT can move your upgrade eligibility for any other phone, they are not allowed to do so for iPhones

5. jcapz thread starter macrumors member

You know...I just realized the guy said something along the lines of that. He said he can override the upgrade for anything but the iPhone. Ok thanks for all the info!!

6. fjrabon macrumors regular

Yes, this is because the iPhone is the only phone that they have no incentive whatsoever to do this with. After AT&T did it last time, it was talked over and they realized that they totally shot themselves in the foot when they allowed ineligible upgraders to get an iPhone 4, since they didn't even have enough iPhone 4's to sell for quite a while, they were actually telling potentially new customers (nope, you can't have an iPhone 4 from us because we let this other guy upgrade an entire year early).

AT&T is looking at it like by the time you are eligible, they should be getting their second burst of inventory, and actually have a phone to give you, without taking it out of the hands of someone who is off contract or a new customer.

7. Givmeabrek, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It's possible but I'm not sure you want to go through the agony. My order was so messed up and I spent so many hours on the phone with brainless ATT reps that I finally had a customer care manger call me at home on Sunday morning telling me they were lowering the price from about $700 to full upgrade of $399.

I had never even asked them to do so.

The manager admitted that most reps are recent and barely trained hires. No kidding.... :mad:

I have ended up with 4 orders, 3 canceled, and being billed for 2. Still a mess. I think I will just wait it out instead of stirring up more trouble. Once I get my 4s in my hands then I will give them hell. :eek:

No idea when I will get my order but ATT can take care of you if they want to.

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I was going to try and call to get my date moved up, but after reading this thread I will simply wait until 12/3 to upgrade and phones should be readily in stock by then in the stores.