Making trashcan work properly

Discussion in 'macOS' started by excalibur313, Aug 22, 2007.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I wasn't thinking and after a series of events I am now downgrading from leopard beta to tiger. Migration assistant didn't work so I did it by hand. I made an account and then used the root account to replace the user folder. Everything seems to be okay except now when I delete stuff it doesn't go into the trash but is deleted immediately. Why is this and how can I fix it? If I can't but if someone has a suggestion for transferring the user account correctly while preserving all settings, files, etc that could work too because I backed up the computer with leopard on it. Thanks a lot for your time!

2. The General macrumors 601

Is there a recycle bin folder anywhere in ~/Library that you can delete?

If you don't mind me asking, what was it that made you downgrade from Leopard beta? I was thinking about sticking it on here to play around with ... are there any major compatibility problems with software and such? Is it worth a try? I can always use Carbon Copy Cloner to have something to fall back on ... just wondering if it's still really unstable or something.

3. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

No there actually isn't a recycling bin folder there! Should there be? Can I just make one? Part of me thinks that this is too easy and the folder is actually hidden...I seem to remember sometimes seeing .trash folders when drives are moved from a mac to a windows computer.

To answer your question the reason why I wanted to downgrade is that I wanted to use mat lab and it kept crashing. This is version 9a500 so I can't speak to the more up to date one. Otherwise it seems really awesome! Super fast and stable.

EDIT: I figured out how to fix it. It turns out that when I copied over all the files from my old user account manually, some of the folders had a different owner which prohibited me from writing to them. Simply, showing all files and then making me the owner of the trash folder fixed everything.