making USB peripherals (like ScanSnap scanner) wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by provoloney, Sep 20, 2009.

1. provoloney macrumors newbie

can you do this with an airport extreme or time capsule? I assumed that by connecting the USB line of my ScanSnap scanner to these devices, I would be making them wireless (i.e., so I wouldn't have to plug the USB into my actual computer). It doesn't seem to work for some reason. Is it b/c that's not possible, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks...

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

It isn't possible using those Apple Airport products, because Apple only put printer sharing software in them.

3. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Apple's AirPort Extremem Base Station and the AirPort Express contain only a print and file/HD-sharing server. It will not work with any other device (not even, for example, the scanner on a printer with a built-in scanner).

What you're looking for is some sort of networkable USB server. I know some exist, but I'm not personally familair with any, but a Web search can probably give you some results.

4. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Let me know if you find something that works. I'm considering a mac mini server to address this, but don't want to shell out the cash just yet.