Making use of spaces: How do you organize them, how do you access them?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mason.kramer, Mar 6, 2008.

1. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

I am really happy with my GUI setup in Leopard. I have a mouse with all the expose keys mapped to a button on it. I use expose a lot. However, I have yet to make use of either Stacks or Spaces. Now, with stacks, I really have no desire to use it, because QuickSilver gets me the file I want much faster.

Spaces, however, seems to present interesting possibilities. However, I never use it! At first, I used it to stash auxillary programs like Adium and iTunes to keep the window clutter to a minimum. However, spaces don't seem to be really geared for this purpose, when cmd-H will hide the offending window more quicker-better and has the added advantage of being keyboard-only. If I need the window back, I can Which into it (one of the best reasons to use Which, by the way). This long-winded explanation leads me to my question, which is: who here has incorporated Spaces into their desktop usage habits, and how do you divide your spaces and what is the reasoning behind it?

The way that I open windows and use them now is to just open them and let them stack up how they will. When I want to switch to another app I cmd-tab to it, or use the 3rd party Which utility (bound to alt-tab) to focus a specific window. I use quicksilver to invoke new applications, or to find files. If I am holding the mouse (and I am pretty much only holding the mouse while browsing the internet or using illustrator), I can use my expose bindings there to switch. (I never use the keyboard based expose bindings, because what's the point? You need a mouse to do anything with expose, so I'm always holding a mouse when I invoke it).

A related question is how to utilize your spaces, i.e. what are the actual keyboard and mouse sequences that you use to move windows into new spaces, how do you switch between your spaces, and how and why does this work for your workflow?

Here are some Spaces utilization q's:
    1. Is there a keyboard-only way to send a whole application to another space?
    2. How about a keyboard-only way to send the focused window to another space?
    3. Any way to have login items default to an auxiliary space?
    edit: d'oh, Application Assignments in Spaces makes this work, and also makes Spaces a lot better than I realized it could be.
    4. When I have adium open in an auxiliary space, new message windows pop up in the active space. I don't like this. How can I play with where windows default?

2. thechef macrumors newbie

I haven't organised everything thoroughly but I use a 3 space set up. All 3 are on the same row and I have Thunderbird always open in the far right space so I can get my email quickly, I have iTunes in the middle space and the 1st left side space I use for Firefox and every other app.

If in future there are more apps I need open all the time I will create spaces for them.

Pretty basic setup but better than nothing!

3. Mashiach macrumors regular

Mashiach

I use spaces extensively. If i didn't I would find it hard to use my desktop properly. Don't know how I survived in Tiger.
    In space one I have all my internet apps (mail, mercury, safari, firefox)
    In space two I have my office suite (excel, word, powerpoint)
    In space three I have misc apps
    In space four I have my music and video listening apps (iTunes, Quicktime, VLC)
    In space five I have my Music making software (Logic Pro 8, Pro Tools 7, Reason 3 and Sonic Birth)
    In space six I have my adobe software (Photoshop CS3 and Dreamweaver)

Just makes my life easier, although it can be a bit irritating when using mercury as it is a bit glitchy when changing spaces. Tends to follow me.

Answering your questions:
    1. Not that I am aware of yet. I have seen this question crop up before on MacRumors but to no avail.
    2. Same again I only know the keyboard Mouse way.
    4. System Preferences > Expose & Spaces > Spaces > Choose adium and then select its space to open in hopefully this will cure it opening in an active space.

4. matperk macrumors 6502

I hope you don't have all that stuff open all the time! Even a third that many apps would be trouble

You'd need 32 gb of RAM to have all that stuff open...:p

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

virtual desktops, even easier to switch desktops :)

6. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I have mine pretty organized.
    Space 1: iChat, SiriusMac, Safari
    Space 2: iTunes
    Space 3: iWork/Office or Slingbox (depending what im doing)
    Space 4: Mail.app and iCal

[​IMG]

7. Mashiach macrumors regular

Mashiach

I actually have 500 GB of RAM. lol
    Not really.
    My 2.2 SR MBP holds pretty well with most of that running and I only have 2GB of RAM.

8. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Sometimes I miss those cool transition effects.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i think the main thing is hot corner switching for virtual desktops, much easier with mice than key combo... IMHO.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

So want a Slingbox...