making vlc default player for ALL video files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Namhar, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Namhar macrumors newbie

hi
    i had vlc as my default player for video files when i first installed it but then when i updated it to version 1.02 its not the default for any file. i know there is a way to make it the default player for individual file types, but i would like it to be the default for ALL video files. i have looked in the preferences but couldnt find anything. How can i do it

Thanks

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you go to a video file in finder, right mouse and click open with. Select VLC and then tick the box for always open with. This should make it the default application for the file format you select.

3. Namhar thread starter macrumors newbie

stridemat, i am familiar with the way you just described but like i said i dont want to do this for each video format i open, i want vlc to be the default for all video formats (avi,mkv,mp4 etc) by selecting one option and not doing the procedure for each video and audio file format.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Sorry about that, I didn't read it right.

ctrl-click the file -> Get Info -> Open with: VLC -> Change All..

5. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Or, right click one of the files, Get Info, then click Open With... and select your program and hit Use this Program to Open All Files of This Type.

6. Namhar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again guys for you replies but you still didnt get me. by following wat you just said i will be using vlc as the default file for say just the avi files if am trying to change that file type. But then i have to do the same procedure for all the other formats mp3, mkv, mp4, etc isnt there a way make vlc the default for all these formats?

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have had a think about it and save removing all other media apps on your mac I cannot think of a way to make VLC default for absolutely everything, sorry.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, there isn't. How many video formats do you actually use? I can think of maybe seven that are in common usage, is it really that much of a pain to change them all seven times?