Making Webpages on a Mac

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Applenewb, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Applenewb macrumors member

Hi all, right now I use Dreamweaver/Photoshop/Illustrator on my PC for making webpages. I hate it. I really, really hate it. Everything about the entire process is just a torture to me, thus I have several sites I'd like to develop in limbo.

I'd like to know, if I go out tomorrow and buy a Mac, how is it going to change the website design process? Or is it going to be the same pain in the rear as doing it on a PC. I've heard Mac is easy in this respect but I've never had a good explanation as to exactly why. Thanks in advance!

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Those three applications are also commonly used on Mac, and are very similar to the PC versions, but to best answer your question we need an idea of what type of webpages you make. Do you have any samples?

3. Applenewb thread starter macrumors member

Don't have any examples sorry, but if the programs are exactly the same I'm not sure there would be any difference? I had thought Pages was supposed to be really great for layout or something like that...

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

If you are just doing simple sites, remember that every Mac comes with iWeb. It's great for the simple stuff, but's feature set is limited. Rapidweaver is probably a step above iWeb, but not as complex (or feature-rich) as Dreamweaver.

5. justG macrumors member

justG

In addition to the type of sites you want to produce, it would help to know what exactly you "really, really hate" about the process on the PC. Software common to both platforms works pretty much in the same way on both platforms. Just as there's different software on the Mac for producing web sites, there's different software on Windows from what you're currently using, as well. Really, how easy/difficult the process of creating web sites is has little to do with platform and much to do with your technical and webdev aptitude, as well as the tools you choose to help you get the job done.

6. karichelle macrumors member

karichelle

I use Dreamweaver when I am working with sites for my (very) small web design business, but I actually like to use iWeb for my personal page because it's so tied in with iPhoto so it makes it easy to make photo albums, which is the main thing I do with my webpages anyway.

7. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Agreed.

I find running multiple apps on a Mac even easier. Yes you can switch between multiple windows on a PC too, but it's much more elegant on a mac. I apple tab and apple ~ a lot between windows and don't use the mouse when i'm debugging - I've been told it's psychedelic. It helps when I'm debugging CSS code. I can't stand working on the pc where I'd have to touch the mouse or something.

But keep the PC for testing purposes ;)

8. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

The main difference is in the file system and the GUI.
    Difficulties specific to building websites are the same, except that the system itself does not add fuel to the fire.

BTW, assertions that the tools are the same on both platforms is basically true. It's the look and feel of the applications that's better in OSX.
    I also vastly prefer the Mac keyboard shortcuts. Basically, the thumb/Command key replaces the pinky/Control key; the thumb is stronger and better positioned for this job. This is a deal-breaker once you get used to it.

9. operator macrumors regular

FTP Program: Transmit
    Code Editor: skEdit

Also, Mac's have an Apache server pre-installed. You can install the latest versions of php and mysql easily, and then you can turn your server on or off with a single click.

Then you can start up Parallels, and test your sites in Windows and Mac at the same time.

Mac's are awesome for web development.

10. Trogloxene macrumors regular

I find that the big monitors on my mac, and dragging things around in the operating system make me way faster on my Mac then on my PC. And if you work on it all day, the anti-aliasing look on a mac each much easier on your eyes.

And on the Mac you don't have the endless Virus Malware constantly interupting you trying to sell you an updated version of virus protection. :rolleyes:

-T