Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Hi
I'm trying to make a WiFi network at my University as I am a Computer Science student trying to connect some devices I have been developing /working on. They support WEP and WPA/WPA2, but not 802.1X.
I need to get them connected very much with a stable connection. I was wondering, if I get my old time capsule (3rd gen) posted up, will that allow me to plug into the network socket, authenticate with my username and password onto the University network, and then broadcast my own network from there that only required WEP or WPA2 for authentication?
Sam

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Hi
I'm trying to make a WiFi network at my University as I am a Computer Science student trying to connect some devices I have been developing /working on. They support WEP and WPA/WPA2, but not 802.1X.
I need to get them connected very much with a stable connection. I was wondering, if I get my old time capsule (3rd gen) posted up, will that allow me to plug into the network socket, authenticate with my username and password onto the University network, and then broadcast my own network from there that only required WEP or WPA2 for authentication?
Sam

If you can get access to services from your TC (from the WAN port), then you can use the TC as a WiFi router with any setup that the TC supports. Anything that connects to the TC will then be able to go through the WAN port. What you will have is a cascading router setup. See :http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/24428/53/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.