Making Windows bigger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by badega54, Jan 6, 2008.

1. badega54 macrumors newbie

hi,

how can I make the windows bigger on OS 10. I know I can drag the window, but it doesn't save it. Even I push that green circle, it only makes it a little bigger.

So, I just want the default mini window size to be bigger on all applications.

thank you

2. gavd macrumors 6502a

The green button doesn't work the way that you might expect it to if you've just come from using Windows machines. You'll need to drag the windows to the size you want. Most applications remember what size you set the window to although I sometimes find Excel and Word don't.

The green button is OSX resizes the windows to an appropriate size rather than just making it full screen. Not everyone likes it, but that's the way it is. I think it's because generally Macs are used for Multi tasking and since there would be multiple windows open, it makes more sense to not have them full screen.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

OP, the green button will resize your window to the optimal size for the content within that window. EG, open up Mac Rumors in one tab in Safari and hit the green button. You'll notice it go to a certain size. In a second tab open up Wikipedia and hit the green button again.

If you're looking for full-screen, just drag out the corner and keep it that way. The app will "remember" the last window size you had so it won't be a problem.

Now I personally don't think you'll need full-screen windows because that's a nasty habit Windows teaches you. I've honestly shed the last of my full-screen addiction now and I love it. Give it a try and see for yourself. :)

4. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

To the GUI folks who are interested in this stuff, it is one of many nagging little issues that's yet to be resolved in OS X. Certainly not consistent behavior across apps. Learning its behavior for each individual app is certainly annoying ....

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What are you talking about? The green button is certainly consistent across all apps. It does the same thing for every app, which is resize to fit the content within the window.

6. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Tell that to TextMate, TextEdit, MacVim, Picasa Web Albums Uploader, etc. I guess it's then the concept of "content within the window" that is not quite so easy to define.

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Add iTunes, Skype, VLC, Automator...each program effectively decides what to do with the button. It's like an adventure!

8. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

That's the point. :D The window looks at the content and resizes the window to show all the content without wasting screen space. It is different than Windows, it is annoying at first and some apps do misbehave a little. If you multi-task like me its a real lifesafer though.

If you don't that's fine. Drag your Window to the Top left of the screen, then grab the bottom right edge and drag it to the bottom right. Problem solved.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Does it not size accordingly for those apps when you use them? I've always had good experiences with the green "+" as the window size is ideal for what I'm looking at. The iLife apps usually go full-screen because photos, music, etc, can require a lot of screen real estate.

10. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Actually I'm not particularly invested in this functionality one way or another -- so long as my xterm window stays 80x50 I'm happy. :)

11. Frisco macrumors 68020

Oh My God! This has to be the #1 question asked from PC users. I think Apple should just make it a maximize button. To tell you the truth Apple's way is confusing.

Also how to close an application is confusing.

12. gavd macrumors 6502a

So Apple should change their OS because some people find it confusing because it doesn't work like Windows? What about all the users Apple have who are used to the way it's been for so long?

13. badega54 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for all your replies. However, it doesn't work.

I tried that for "Mail" and "Pages" and it does not remember the window size.
    So "Pages" thinks that it is smart to display the content in such a way, that I have to scroll both, horizontally and vertically? Not a good idea...