Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
I've rolled out a few Mac's to some of our users and the biggest complaint is finding an easy way to save to their windows network share as it doesn't appear in devices.

Is there an easier way to save to windows shared network drives?

Also has anyone found a guide on running macs in a windows environment?

Thanks

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
The simplest solution is to get the relevant shares automounted on the desktop - which is what I do for our users here (I admin a mixed Mac/Windows network as part of my job).

Simply mount the shares on the desktop - either via the shared pane in Finder or via the 'connect to server' panel on the 'Go' menu, then drag the mounted network drive icons from the desktop into the users' Login items (in system prefs/accounts).

If you also make sure that 'computer' is checked in Finder preferences/side bar, they'll be able to navigate to the shares that way too, just by clicking on the computer host name at the top of the finder sidebar.

Edit: BTW MacWindows is an excellent resource for managing mixed networks. It's not the easiest site to find answers on, but a little digging pays dividends =]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.