Making Windows Volume accessible in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kirkbross, Jun 28, 2008.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I'm running XP and 10.5.3 on my Penryn Mac Pro. The Windows XP drive appears on the desktop in OS X but I can't write to it (for example, to save a bunch of jpgs to open up in Windows).

Is there a way to 'unlock' or change the permissions on the XP volume so it will be writeable in OS X?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. scott:mac macrumors regular

Yeah, havent really read this properly but Disk Utility will format to FAT32 i believe and that is both readable on mac and PC.

4. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Thanks... yeah, I just need a small volume to transfer pics and such back and forth and I think FAT32 will be fine.

I tried the MacFUSE driver with the NTFS-3G driver and got a little / very confused trying to parse the terminal commands. I'll have to read up on that more and see if I can find a MacFUSE for dummies How-To.

5. scott:mac macrumors regular

LOL, yeah though seriously dude - Disk Utility will do the trick, format it to FAT32 and it will be Readable and Writeable on ALL versions of Windows and Mac.

6. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I ended up just using a firewire drive that is NTFS formatted. My internal Windows drive is already NTFS, but I couldn't seem to get it to be writeable too -- it's read-only now. I was hoping with the MacFUSE drivers installed that it would magically become writeable, but not so... again, I'm not great with a terminal. You'd think that with Bootcamp, there would be a feature to help out with cross-platform reading and writing. Problem solved though with the FW drive.