Mal:url

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Birdbrain11, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Birdbrain11 macrumors newbie

Today while bootting up TOR, Avast warned me that it had blocked the above malware. Can anyone give me any details of feedback? Is it something to worry about?

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

http://www.im-infected.com/virus/urlmal-virus.html

It's probably warning you of an infected site. If you are using OS X, it's probably safe to go the site since there are no viruses for it. Just don't install anything that a pop-up might request and avoid downloading stuff from there.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As pastrychef stated, it's a warning about a website, not your computer. Such warnings may or may not be accurate, as some perfectly safe sites are mistakenly flagged. It's a common issue with Avast. Personally, I recommend uninstalling any antivirus software from OS X.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.