Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
Hello,

I'm in need of an upgrade, my Macbook is almost 6 years old and it starting to show its age now.

I'm off to Malaysia in March and wondered if I'd have any difficulties buying a Macbook Pro out there? I've checked the store and a 15" would only cost me £98 more than the entry level 13" costs in the UK.

I can imagine that the currency shortcuts on the number keys will be different but is there anything else I need to know that could be a potential deal breaker?

Power supply and even plug types are the same in Malaysia as they are in the UK, so that won't be a problem.

Many thanks,
Ben

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
Hello,

I'm in need of an upgrade, my Macbook is almost 6 years old and it starting to show its age now.

I'm off to Malaysia in March and wondered if I'd have any difficulties buying a Macbook Pro out there? I've checked the store and a 15" would only cost me £98 more than the entry level 13" costs in the UK.

I can imagine that the currency shortcuts on the number keys will be different but is there anything else I need to know that could be a potential deal breaker?

Power supply and even plug types are the same in Malaysia as they are in the UK, so that won't be a problem.

Many thanks,
Ben

My friend has an 13" from Malaysia, it looks exactly like the one from US. :)

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
My friend has an 13" from Malaysia, it looks exactly like the one from US. :)

Thanks iMarvin, appreciated.

I was hoping it would have the international English rather than US English key layout. A friend has the American one and I continually press the \| key when I want the Return key!

I could get used to it though.

Cheers,
Ben

Queen6

macrumors G4
No problem at all, I saved over a $1000 on my 15" 2.4 i7 MBP, got new 13" & 11" Air as well. There are plenty of Apple authorized resellers, KL offers several in KLCC alone. Store stock is generally limited to the standard models, you can order, however it will take some time to arrive. A high end 15" is around $2K US, which given EU prices is a bargin.

What you get is what you see on the Apple Malaysia site, and one of the cheaper places to buy a new Mac. US keyboard you will get used to it in a week or so, nothing negative at all about buying a Mac here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.