Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
When Monoprice released their Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor, everybody was happy... except me.

It's still an adaptor and you still need to add a separate HDMI cable to hook it up to a TV. I don't understand the relief everybody felt because there were already other possible combinations such as a MiniDisplayPort to DVI converter and then DVI to HDMI cable which have been around for years.

What we need is a Male Mini-DisplayPort to Male HDMI so one cable could go from your Mac to a TV.

This company has it right but in the regular size DisplayPort (not the mini):

Apple should have released this with their first MiniDisplayPort Mac. It's so odd that they didn't. None of their new computers can connect directly to a TV without some sort of Frankencable.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The best solution, I think would be this adaptor that Apple sells:

picture1rle.jpg

Because Apple's mini-display port doesn't carry sound, nor do the DVI ports of the previous generation, I've been using m-audio's USB SonicaTheater.

276.jpg

Apple's DVI+USB miniDisplayPort adaptor is the ideal and cleanest solution because it carries a USB (sound) and DVI (video) right to the TV and the SonicaTheater hidden behind (I velcro'd the Sonica theatre to the back of the Tv). All you're left with is a single white cable that splits into USB and miniDisplayPort at the end.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
I don't understand the relief everybody felt because there were already other possible combinations such as a MiniDisplayPort to DVI converter and then DVI to HDMI cable which have been around for years.

The hope was that with HDMI, it would output audio as well. And the minDP-HDMI adapter supports that... however Apple's current implementation doesn't allow for audio over miniDP. If this can be changed in the future with a FW update is unknown.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
So I wonder why Monoprice doesn't release a miniDisplayPort to male HDMI cable instead of this adaptor. Surely, there's more demand for the former considering the use people are intending it for: connecting directly to a TV.

rhyx

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
So I wonder why Monoprice doesn't release a miniDisplayPort to male HDMI cable instead of this adaptor. Surely, there's more demand for the former considering the use people are intending it for: connecting directly to a TV.

This one lets you choose how long of a HDMI cable to use. I like that option.

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
I agree that monoprice should release a male minidisplay port to HDMI cable. This would make it much easier for a lot of people. I hate having cable clutter, especially when it is on my desktop like the DVI ---> VGA adaptor I have for my MBP.

AirwingMarine

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
Ok I'll try to break this down......I got the DVI to HDMI hooked up to my 21.5 inch acer monitor from my mini. Of course I have no sound which I understand, the internal speakers work in the mini but when I try to do a simple audio out setup to the monitor from the mini that doesn't work either. I checked the audio setup in system pref. but couldn't figure it out, I want to eventually get the audio from my mini going to my JVC receiver, should i just run a phono from the mini's audio out jack to the receiver? my receiver supports all audio formats so maybe i should go optical. If any one can answer this for me.. for good I would greatly appreciate.

AVR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
I want to eventually get the audio from my mini going to my JVC receiver, should i just run a phono from the mini's audio out jack to the receiver?
Yep, that would work.

As for the audio not working when you plug it into the monitor... no idea. If you've confirmed that the audio outputs on the mini are working normally, then it's a monitor issue, not a Mac issue.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I wanted to get information from Apple regarding this. I knew that Apple has a policy of not commenting on unreleased products so I called AppleCare with a "concern" to see if that avenue would lead me any info.

I told them that I purchased a MacMini and that their product info and promotion suggest that you can just buy a MacMini and BYOKM ("Bring your own keyboard & mouse) and use your existing display.

I said that my display only has HDMI. I asked them if Apple would come out with a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI cable. He told me that they don't know of any upcoming products.

I then told him that I felt cheated because after spending $700 on the MacMini, I had to go out and buy a display that only Apple sells ...for $999. I asked him again and he said that Apple doesn't plan on releasing any HDMI cables and suggested a MiniDisplayPort to DVI cable (which they sell) and then a DVI to HDMI cable.

There you have it. Apple won't support users with HDMI. They should have considered this when moving exclusively to MiniDisplayPort on their full range.

The MacMini is a "Switcher" device. They suggest you can keep all your PC peripherals. So imagine a PC user, finally switching to Mac, arriving home to find that they can't hook up their display and that nobody sells a cable to do so. Now they research which displays support Mini DisplayPort and lo and behold: only Apple for $1000 bucks.

AVR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
So imagine a PC user, finally switching to Mac, arriving home to find that they can't hook up their display and that nobody sells a cable to do so. Now they research which displays support Mini DisplayPort and lo and behold: only Apple for $1000 bucks.
Er, hang on - I think you're rather overstating the situation here (and that's putting it mildly).

While it's true that you can't *yet* buy a single cable to do the job, it's perfectly possible to hook up to an HDMI display using an adapter. Not as neat as a single MDP>HDMI cable, for sure, but that's life. And when MDP>HDMI cables arrive, as they surely will do eventually, you can swap over and be neat again.

So what was the big problem that left you feeling cheated and having to buy a new $1000 monitor? :confused:

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Just buy the two cables...
You can buy HDMI cables off Amazon for < $1 (around $5 after shipping) that work just as well as the $50+ cables.

tji

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2004
Mountain View, CA
Thanks for the response. I already have the two cable solution, I was posting on this thread because it was specifically about the improved single cable I would like to buy.

So, the question still applies: Has anyone made a Mini-DisplayPort (male) to HDMI (male) cable?

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Apple's DVI+USB miniDisplayPort adaptor is the ideal and cleanest solution because it carries a USB (sound) and DVI (video) right to the TV and the SonicaTheater hidden behind (I velcro'd the Sonica theatre to the back of the Tv). All you're left with is a single white cable that splits into USB and miniDisplayPort at the end.
The usb on that adapter only powers the adapter, there is no sound or anything else. This adapter therefore is not a solution.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
So as someone mentioned, MonoPrice has Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI cables. This is great because it's a single cable solution that doesn't require a separate adaptor. Unfortunately, they don't support audio. Does anyone know if there's a single cable out there that is Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI (male-to-male) that also supports audio? And if not, is there a company that has publicly committed to releasing one? Thanks!

curtispark

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
When Monoprice released their Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor, everybody was happy... except me.

[url=http://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/53111.jpg]Image[/URL]

It's still an adaptor and you still need to add a separate HDMI cable to hook it up to a TV. I don't understand the relief everybody felt because there were already other possible combinations such as a MiniDisplayPort to DVI converter and then DVI to HDMI cable which have been around for years.

What we need is a Male Mini-DisplayPort to Male HDMI so one cable could go from your Mac to a TV.

This company has it right but in the regular size DisplayPort (not the mini):

[url=http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00cMAEjmlJGIqWM/Displayport-Male-to-HDMI-Male-Cable-DP002-.jpg]Image[/URL]

Apple should have released this with their first MiniDisplayPort Mac. It's so odd that they didn't. None of their new computers can connect directly to a TV without some sort of Frankencable.

You can buy one here at ayagroup.com, it's a mini displayport to HDMI male 15ft. ($18.99) So you don't need an extra HDMI cable unless 15ft. is not long enough.

MINI-DISPLAY-HDMI-15_l.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.