Male Mini-DisplayPort to Male HDMI?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ipedro, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

When Monoprice released their Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor, everybody was happy... except me.

[​IMG]

It's still an adaptor and you still need to add a separate HDMI cable to hook it up to a TV. I don't understand the relief everybody felt because there were already other possible combinations such as a MiniDisplayPort to DVI converter and then DVI to HDMI cable which have been around for years.

What we need is a Male Mini-DisplayPort to Male HDMI so one cable could go from your Mac to a TV.

This company has it right but in the regular size DisplayPort (not the mini):

[​IMG]

Apple should have released this with their first MiniDisplayPort Mac. It's so odd that they didn't. None of their new computers can connect directly to a TV without some sort of Frankencable.

2. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

The best solution, I think would be this adaptor that Apple sells:

[​IMG]

Because Apple's mini-display port doesn't carry sound, nor do the DVI ports of the previous generation, I've been using m-audio's USB SonicaTheater.

[​IMG]

Apple's DVI+USB miniDisplayPort adaptor is the ideal and cleanest solution because it carries a USB (sound) and DVI (video) right to the TV and the SonicaTheater hidden behind (I velcro'd the Sonica theatre to the back of the Tv). All you're left with is a single white cable that splits into USB and miniDisplayPort at the end.

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

The hope was that with HDMI, it would output audio as well. And the minDP-HDMI adapter supports that... however Apple's current implementation doesn't allow for audio over miniDP. If this can be changed in the future with a FW update is unknown.

4. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

So I wonder why Monoprice doesn't release a miniDisplayPort to male HDMI cable instead of this adaptor. Surely, there's more demand for the former considering the use people are intending it for: connecting directly to a TV.

5. rhyx macrumors 6502

This one lets you choose how long of a HDMI cable to use. I like that option.

6. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

I agree that monoprice should release a male minidisplay port to HDMI cable. This would make it much easier for a lot of people. I hate having cable clutter, especially when it is on my desktop like the DVI ---> VGA adaptor I have for my MBP.

7. AirwingMarine macrumors newbie

AirwingMarine

Ok I'll try to break this down......I got the DVI to HDMI hooked up to my 21.5 inch acer monitor from my mini. Of course I have no sound which I understand, the internal speakers work in the mini but when I try to do a simple audio out setup to the monitor from the mini that doesn't work either. I checked the audio setup in system pref. but couldn't figure it out, I want to eventually get the audio from my mini going to my JVC receiver, should i just run a phono from the mini's audio out jack to the receiver? my receiver supports all audio formats so maybe i should go optical. If any one can answer this for me.. for good I would greatly appreciate.

8. AVR2 macrumors 6502

Yep, that would work.

As for the audio not working when you plug it into the monitor... no idea. If you've confirmed that the audio outputs on the mini are working normally, then it's a monitor issue, not a Mac issue.

9. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I wanted to get information from Apple regarding this. I knew that Apple has a policy of not commenting on unreleased products so I called AppleCare with a "concern" to see if that avenue would lead me any info.

I told them that I purchased a MacMini and that their product info and promotion suggest that you can just buy a MacMini and BYOKM ("Bring your own keyboard & mouse) and use your existing display.

I said that my display only has HDMI. I asked them if Apple would come out with a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI cable. He told me that they don't know of any upcoming products.

I then told him that I felt cheated because after spending $700 on the MacMini, I had to go out and buy a display that only Apple sells ...for $999. I asked him again and he said that Apple doesn't plan on releasing any HDMI cables and suggested a MiniDisplayPort to DVI cable (which they sell) and then a DVI to HDMI cable.

There you have it. Apple won't support users with HDMI. They should have considered this when moving exclusively to MiniDisplayPort on their full range.

The MacMini is a "Switcher" device. They suggest you can keep all your PC peripherals. So imagine a PC user, finally switching to Mac, arriving home to find that they can't hook up their display and that nobody sells a cable to do so. Now they research which displays support Mini DisplayPort and lo and behold: only Apple for $1000 bucks.

10. AVR2 macrumors 6502

Er, hang on - I think you're rather overstating the situation here (and that's putting it mildly).

While it's true that you can't *yet* buy a single cable to do the job, it's perfectly possible to hook up to an HDMI display using an adapter. Not as neat as a single MDP>HDMI cable, for sure, but that's life. And when MDP>HDMI cables arrive, as they surely will do eventually, you can swap over and be neat again.

So what was the big problem that left you feeling cheated and having to buy a new $1000 monitor? :confused:

11. tji macrumors newbie

I'm looking for the same thing, Mini-DP to HDMI (male). My searches have turned up nothing thus far.. anyone else find something?

12. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Just buy the two cables...
    You can buy HDMI cables off Amazon for < $1 (around $5 after shipping) that work just as well as the $50+ cables.

13. tji macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. I already have the two cable solution, I was posting on this thread because it was specifically about the improved single cable I would like to buy.

So, the question still applies: Has anyone made a Mini-DisplayPort (male) to HDMI (male) cable?

14. Klyde macrumors newbie

15. dyn macrumors 68030

The usb on that adapter only powers the adapter, there is no sound or anything else. This adapter therefore is not a solution.

16. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

So as someone mentioned, MonoPrice has Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI cables. This is great because it's a single cable solution that doesn't require a separate adaptor. Unfortunately, they don't support audio. Does anyone know if there's a single cable out there that is Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI (male-to-male) that also supports audio? And if not, is there a company that has publicly committed to releasing one? Thanks!

17. curtispark macrumors newbie

You can buy one here at ayagroup.com, it's a mini displayport to HDMI male 15ft. ($18.99) So you don't need an extra HDMI cable unless 15ft. is not long enough.

[​IMG]