Male-To-Male USB (Mac)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DisneyRicky, Oct 8, 2011.

1. DisneyRicky macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

Hello Everyone,

Sorry, but I can no longer see a forum category here for Windows stuff, but anyways...

My dad is getting another laptop, and for now he is just going to get another PC. His question is, if he gets a male-to-male USB, will he be able to transfer all of his music via that (as well as keep the library stuff)? The over-wifi transfer is nice and all, but moving 80 gigs of music and movies will take far too long.

Also, if he does this, will he need a special program? He is currently on a laptop with Vista if that means anything...

~DisneyRicky

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Get an ethernet cable. No extra software needed, no hassles, just drag and drop transfer (probably the fastest way too).

3. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Male-to-male USB won't work. Even easier than the ethernet approach is to buy an external backup drive...about a hundred bucks gets you at least a terabyte. Copy all the important stuff to the drive, then restore the stuff to the new laptop.

He'll want a backup drive long term anyway...need important data in two places, so one device can fail. Cause when a hard drive dies, that's usually goodbye data forever.

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

True, I didn't think about that. OP, if you have 100 bucks to spend I'd take this route as it's a lot less work, otherwise the ethernet route is the 2nd best and the far cheaper option.