Malfunctioning Backlight

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by emshicks321, Sep 15, 2014.

1. emshicks321 macrumors newbie

Hello.
    This is my first post on this forum. I've been trying to fix my friend's Macbook. (I believe its a mid 09 model). It used to be whenever I'd open the computer, the screen's back light would time out after 1 1/2 seconds. Then, the screen would go dark. If you hold an external light to the screen, you can still see what is displayed on the screen.
    I assumed it was just a bad inverter board, so I replaced it, and it still doesn't work. I cannot really think of what else it could be. (Now it doesn't Come On at All!!). I've posted a (rather amateur-ish) video showing what i have. There is this one cable that might be the problem. If anyone could explain what it does, or how to fix it, please let me know:)

Thank You!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvJU8VdPYeo

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The video you linked is marked as private......

The faulty backlight is very common on 2009 MacBook 5,2 models and is normally a faulty backlight on the Samsung LCD.

If you look on eBay you should be able to get a new backlight for about $15 or so. Very fragile and a pain to change but much cheaper than a new lcd screen which is the only other answer.

If you remove the white plastic bezel from the screen you should see a part number stamped on the metal surround of the lcd panel - LTN133W1 indicates a Samsung panel. Do a search on eBay for LTN133W1 backlight.

Sometimes (but not very often) it can be the inverter or the cable between the inverter and the logicboard but you have already changed the inverter.....