Malfunctioning iSight Saga: Need Advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jzj6871, Aug 6, 2014.

1. jzj6871 macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone,

So, I’m extremely frustrated and could really use some advice! Here’s my story:

1. Purchased highest end 15” Retina Macbook Pro in 2012 with Applecare.

2. During my first week of using the rMBP, the iSight would stop working intermittently. If I opened PhotoBooth it would say “There is no connected camera”. Skype video calls would not work as well. It was as if there was no camera.

2.1 I tried a clean install, and it didn’t help. Even tried a clean install with only using native Mac applications. Still didn’t help.

3. In order to fix the issue, I would have to restart my computer… Sometimes, I would have to restart twice.

4. I brought the rMBP in to the Apple Store, and they saw the issue (as it thankfully happened while I was there) and they said they would have to replace the LCD.

5. They replaced the LCD and I took the rMBP back home.

6. Right away I started noticing bad ghosting/burn-in, and still had the same iSight issue. So, I brought it in again.

7. They couldn’t diagnose the problem with the iSight, and replaced my LCD for the second time.

8. Took the rMBP home, and still had the same issue with the iSight.

9. I was extremely busy back then, and could not be without my computer for even a day so I only finally had some free time to bring it in this past month (July 2014).

10. Apple Store could not diagnose or reproduce the issue. And could not effectively run diagnostics, as I was running the Yosemite Beta.

11. They told me to downgrade and bring it back, which I did.

12. They replaced the LCD for a third time on Aug. 5th, 2014 and I brought it home.

13. That same night, I experienced the iSight issue again!

14. Called 1800-MY-APPLE to speak to a supervisor, who shared my screen to see the screenshots/screen-video I took of the issue.

15. That supervisor also had me download a file that collected information from my computer and he had me send the file(s) to Apple using a web-form.

16. August 6th, today, I experienced the issue again, and it really infuriated me as it interrupted my conference, so I called and asked to speak to Customer Relations.

17. Spoke to an individual who said he needed 48 hours to see what they can do, but couldn’t promise me anything.

18. He said at most, they might authorize a “service replacement” and not a new computer.

19. My Applecare is up in June 2015.

20. I’ve gone without my computer for days throughout all these repairs etc. and I’m just completely frustrated right now. I don’t know what to do. I feel especially annoyed that they wouldn’t even offer to replace my computer with a new one, given that it’s been non-fully-functional since purchase! … Would really appreciate some advice.

2. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

I'd recommend escalating to a manager at Customer Relations, explaining the situation in-depth, and seeing what the manager has to offer then.

Sometimes the first point of contact cannot offer much.

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I understand the frustration of a computer that fails repeatedly, but it sounds like you have an issue with the service replacement. Why does your two year old rMBP need to be replaced with a brand new one?

Read through the terms of your warranty and you'll see that any repair they perform can(and likely will) use refurbished parts. The same goes for replacements. It's pretty standard in the industry.

4. citivolus macrumors 6502a

In those extreme cases where multiple repairs are not successful, it's not unusual to at least request a new machine to replace the aging machine as compensation specifically for the "above and beyond" inconvenience experienced by the customer. If I were in the OP's shoes, I would politely suggest it as a solution, but of course it is ultimately at Apple's discretion.

5. jzj6871 thread starter macrumors newbie

Turns out the issue is with the logic board, and the Apple Stores misdiagnosed the issue 4 DIFFERENT TIMES! Each time, leaving me without a computer for days at a time. This also means I was sold a faulty machine, and have been without a properly functioning computer since purchase... AKA why I believe a replacement is fair.

6. jzj6871 thread starter macrumors newbie

They ended up ordering me a replacement in-store! Finally, an end to the nightmare! I'm super happy, just frustrated I had to deal with 2 weeks of calls, genius appointment, etc.