Malfunctioning iSight Saga: Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jzj6871, Aug 6, 2014.

1. jzj6871 macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone,

I think I posted this same thread in the wrong section previously, so posting it here now, hope that's ok.

So, I’m extremely frustrated and could really use some advice! Here’s my story:

1. Purchased highest end 15” Retina Macbook Pro in 2012 with Applecare.

2. During my first week of using the rMBP, the iSight would stop working intermittently. If I opened PhotoBooth it would say “There is no connected camera”. Skype video calls would not work as well. It was as if there was no camera.

2.1 I tried a clean install, and it didn’t help. Even tried a clean install with only using native Mac applications. Still didn’t help.

3. In order to fix the issue, I would have to restart my computer… Sometimes, I would have to restart twice.

4. I brought the rMBP in to the Apple Store, and they saw the issue (as it thankfully happened while I was there) and they said they would have to replace the LCD.

5. They replaced the LCD and I took the rMBP back home.

6. Right away I started noticing bad ghosting/burn-in, and still had the same iSight issue. So, I brought it in again.

7. They couldn’t diagnose the problem with the iSight, and replaced my LCD for the second time.

8. Took the rMBP home, and still had the same issue with the iSight.

9. I was extremely busy back then, and could not be without my computer for even a day so I only finally had some free time to bring it in this past month (July 2014).

10. Apple Store could not diagnose or reproduce the issue. And could not effectively run diagnostics, as I was running the Yosemite Beta.

11. They told me to downgrade and bring it back, which I did.

12. They replaced the LCD for a third time on Aug. 5th, 2014 and I brought it home.

13. That same night, I experienced the iSight issue again!

14. Called 1800-MY-APPLE to speak to a supervisor, who shared my screen to see the screenshots/screen-video I took of the issue.

15. That supervisor also had me download a file that collected information from my computer and he had me send the file(s) to Apple using a web-form.

16. August 6th, today, I experienced the issue again, and it really infuriated me as it interrupted my conference, so I called and asked to speak to Customer Relations.

17. Spoke to an individual who said he needed 48 hours to see what they can do, but couldn’t promise me anything.

18. He said at most, they might authorize a “service replacement” and not a new computer.

19. My Applecare is up in June 2015.

20. I’ve gone without my computer for days throughout all these repairs etc. and I’m just completely frustrated right now. I don’t know what to do. I feel especially annoyed that they wouldn’t even offer to replace my computer with a new one, given that it’s been non-fully-functional since purchase! … Would really appreciate some advice.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Apple tends to err on the side of the customer in so many issues. Since your computer is more than 2/3 of the way through its Applecare, I would be surprised if they would offer you a new one. If you had demanded a replacement after the first or even the second LCD replacement, I think they would have done it. One thing you might try is escalation. Try asking for the supervisor, manager or director when you speak to Applecare. Explain you have been putting up with this for close to 2 years and you want some sort of "breakthrough" intervention. Just don't have your heart set on a new rMBP. What you really want is a rMBP with an always working iSight camera, correct? So focus on what they can do to get you a working machine and ask about extending your Applecare beyond its normal expiration or consider what other compensation you might think is fair and ask for it. I would be surprised if Apple isn't prepared to do whatever it takes within reason to make you satisfied.

3. jzj6871 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help!

Tech support supervisor just got back to to let me know they were able to diagnose the problem as a logic board issue from the system files they had me send to them using their diagnostic application... Which means that the Apple Store misdiagnosed my issue THREE TIMES! UGH. I'm furious... all those repairs/system restores were for nothing. All that time without my computer for nothing.

4. jzj6871 thread starter macrumors newbie

They ended up ordering me a replacement in-store! Finally, an end to the nightmare! I'm super happy, just frustrated I had to deal with 2 weeks of calls, genius appointment, etc.