Malfunctioning SuperDrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by potlatch, Jun 19, 2011.

1. potlatch macrumors member

Hi, just realised my SuperDrive on my non-unibody 2008 MacBook Pro seems fecked. First, it's like the curtain at the entrance is stiff and the drive is having trouble ejecting discs. Then I realise there's some 'communication error' and 'medium writing' error. So it's reading but not writing anything.

I've had loose connection problems in the past between the logic board and the screen inverter. That was fixed. Then I got problems with the screen reawakening from sleep. That's happening, though not as badly. Now this.

Anyone have any experience of this? Suggestions?

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Do you have Apple Care? Either way, take it to the genius bar. You can buy superdrives off of ebay and stuff for pretty cheap.

3. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I had similar problems on a 2007 C2D. Took it to the Genius Bar for a confirmation that it was toast. $150 to replace - since this was only a few dollars more than the parts, I figured why not let Apple do it as working on the non-unibody MBP are a total pain.

4. potlatch thread starter macrumors member

No Apple 'geniuses' in Dublin, I'm afraid. Can someone link me to a decent-priced replacement superdrive? eBay, perhaps?

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

This will come across as harsh, but you can't be bothered to search eBay yourself?

6. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

sometimes that's too much work for people. I've always wondered why people come on here to post simple questions and wait for responses when a google search would answer their question in 5 seconds. :p

google: here

here is a site with a bunch of parts for different mac models.

7. potlatch thread starter macrumors member

Yes, well, not all sites are reliable and, actually, many people don't have time to find the best/cheapest/reliable place to find a replacement drive and stuff. Sometimes urgent things happen at a time when everything else is urgent, too. Maybe people think the combined experience/expertise of people here - the kind nature of helpful people here - is a great resource which people like to dip into and provide when they can share advice/information.

Eh?

I just wonder if anyone else has also had the symptoms I have. Sort of 'stiff' drive curtain, and just this 'communication' error. What does it sound like? I haven't found a satisfactory explanation on any website.

8. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I wasn't saying you shouldn't have posted your original post, I don't really care... just was agreeing with the other guy who was asking why you can't search ebay yourself and commenting on why people feel the need to ask for links or answers to dumb questions when google would be faster? :D

Also, if you are in another country you are typically better off searching for your own place to buy the drive since most readers here are from the US, and not many places ship internationally.